Skip to main content

Hi
Anyone that has used an fec 100 for a while care to generalize on which areas/racks are the
hottest/coolest.I generally work with the 2 top rack when cooking butt. Is the left or right side hotter? Top Rack or the one below? Do you put your larger butt on a particular side? Are the bottom racks hotter? Do you rotate racks and keep rack in same postion and or do you rotate rack postions. Or do you do none of the above and just mointor the temp on your smallest butt?

Thanks in Advance

dc
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smokinokie made a chart of the temp difference in his FEC100. I tried to look it up for you, but for the life of me I can't find it.

You may want to PM him to see if he still has it. Although I will warn you that the temps of his FEC will almost definitely be different from yours(never count on any cooker to have the same temps everywhere). But, you should get a general idea.
Plus, I think that was with Smokin's pre-IQ4 FEC-100. So it does not hurt to run the test yourself on your own IQ4.

In my own opinion, it does depend some on how you have the FEC loaded meaning on what shelves you have put what types of meat. The best way to figure this out is to keep a journal as Tom has spoken of so many times on each of your cooks in the FEC and include what meats and shelf locations you used.
Yup, it's a pre-IQ.

I've mapped EVERY smoker I've ever had so I would know where the spots are. I wouldn't go with my map, I'd map your smoker. Plus the IQ's will be somewhat different because the fan doesn't blow constantly.

It takes a little time, if I remember right it took me about a 6 pack to do it Big Grin

Generally the back left corner was the hottest.

The link is broken, but I'll get it fixed:
Temp Mapping in an FE
I think I had 5 and put them through potatoes. one in each corner, one in the middle.

You could do it with 2. Put two on the left side, then move to the middle then move to the right, on each shelf.

The key is to let it come back to temp and stabilize, as the temp will change after the door opens.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.