Skip to main content

Hello all, Looking for just a basic idea and/or pitfalls that may be lurking in my future. We're starting up a BBQ catering operation, and have got an FEC 100 in my sites. We'll be doing a lot of picnic style (cooking at the clients site), as well as a drop off lunch menu that will include actually cooking in a commissary. Wondering how difficult it is setting up a fast eddy for kitchen use, especially if it will be taken in and out on a regular basis. I'm assuming that the black tube on the side of the unit is the smoke stack and will need to be vented up and out of the kitchen. Is just running the pit under a hood even an option? Any info/war stories are greatly appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Running it under a hood is a very acceptable option. You need to make sure: 1). That the CFM draw of the fan is sufficient; 2). That you have an active fresh air make-up supply that will at least match the CFM draw of ALL ventilation hoods or fans that may be in use in the kitchen; 3). That the hood is big and deep enough and sufficiently close to the top of the smoker to effectively capture the smoke for evacuation.
I'd be careful about JUST a vent. If it draw enough to draw the smoke, it may draw too much and effect the smoker airflow.

I'd just attach a temp vent pipe to point the smoke up toward the vent and use a good hood. Smoke will also come out the door when you open and some Health Depts will require a vent to cover the size of the door opening (like it's some sort of sin to have BBQ Smoke in a BBQ Restaurant).

You'll also get tired of rolling it back and forth, but until your business is up and running it will work fine like that. I store 2 in a trailer, roll them off (onto the back ramp of the trailer) for cooking, back in for storage.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.