Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'd probably look at what you wanted to cook,how much of it,and how often.

Now,I have a commercial version of the AQ,and a couple FEC s.

I love both,and if they'd let me take the traditional CS to comps,I'd love to.

As for wood for the AQ,it would cost about the same to cook a couple times a week, for a year ,as one cook in a Klose.

You could cook all night on a couple small fist sized chunks.

Maybe $0.25 at Home Depot,etc.

If you burned one lb pellets/hr and 40 lbs of pellets cost +/- $25,you can figure the math.

If you cook a lot,or divide a pallet with some other cooks,that is about your cost.

If you buy them a 20 lb bag at a time from a bbq store,maybe twice that cost.

As to "better " chicken skin,do you mean fried crispy?

The FEC can accomplish that,if you know what you are doing,pay close attention,and it is real important to you.

Just as a Klose can.

The AQ will produce good "bite through" skin,which is what most comp cooks try for.

I believe you can run it about 300º.

Chicken skin won't start to fry, until something over about 335º.

There is a lot of great comp chicken cooked at 225º-250º.

In any case, many people discard the skin when they eat,anyway.

I guess you need to estimate what percent of your overall cooking is going to hinge on "fried" chicken skin.

Seems like most folks get a smoker to cook low and slow,to break down collagen and render fat.

Yardbirds don't have much of either.

Given a choice of which to use on chicken pieces,for a 25 minute cook,I'd be more likely to fire up a Weber kettle. Big Grin

Now ,if you cook lots of chicken pieces and open the door a lot to mess with them,the FEC has a much faster heat recovery time.

It would also be much faster than a Klose,as well.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Great info Tom. Thanks. I'm kind of an "Over Kill" kind of guy. Most of the time I over buy, can't ever remember under buying though. Looks like the AQ would do just fine for me. Don't see getting into competion and the most I'd be cooking for would probably run around 25 people at a time. I've got an atic full of pecan wood I split, probably could even use some of that.
Surprised no one else asked, figured someone would when I posted that.

quote:
Originally posted by Trucky1008:
Smokin- Does the drier environment of the FEC100 result in Q that is not as moist/tender as what you can achieve from an electric CS?
Don

Nope, there are LOTS of FE owners that win at contests and we're not turning in less moist or less tender.

It's just "different"

I get almost the same effect by opening the door on my CS's and reducing the humidity. Adds time to the cook.

BUT...

The CS are designed that way on purpose. There is a reason they work so well for people, and at lot of it's the humidity.

To get my bark closer to my FE's I just open the door.

Just a different method
Since Smokin' hasn't had time to stop by yet,I'll give a quick thought.

IMO, as to moistness and tenderness, not on most items.

Now,if you are cooking 30 slabs of ribs,you might have to open the door on the traditional Cookshacks more often ,to dump a little moisture.

The FEC flows more air,and COULD cook at higher temps.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:

Now,if you are cooking 30 slabs of ribs,you might have to open the door on the traditional Cookshacks more often ,to dump a little moisture.

Tom,

Thanks for all the great information! I should point out, though that Cookshack smokers that are large enough to hold 30 slabs of ribs have a cabinet size that does not require opening the door to remove humidity. Now, if you stuff 30 slabs of ribs into and A/Q, you will have a real mess on your hands!
quote:
Originally posted by Trucky1008:
I'll be smoking 9 BB slabs in my 55 tomorrow, should I be concerned about too much humidity building up in the cabinet? Don

Question would be, do you like the ribs that come out now? If so, don't change anything but check them at 2 hours and I'd move them around a little. 9 is a lot.
quote:
Originally posted by Mule Skinner:
Hey Smokin, going to pull the trigger today on a FEC100. I just got through reading your ribs 101. Would this hold good for the FEC? Would ribs be a good first attempt or would you recommend something else? Real important to impress the "Misses" after all this money. Think, "Shock and Awe".

Let's start a new thread in the FE forums (congrats by the way) and we'll get you going.

Ribs in the FE on a first attempt will come out great. See you in the FE forum.

Smokin'

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.