Skip to main content

HI All,

I remember seeing about a year ago (maybe I found it through a search) a post where someone did a cook and they recorded the temps at the different grate levels, the chart they had created was great b/c it showed what the display temp was and what the actual was at each grate level. I believe they were doing a cook on some briskies or butts and even showed their temps and certain intervals. I have done all kinds of searches looking for this post and info and cant find it. I think smokin okie did it but I cant remember. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Does this post make sense?
Thanks in advance,
Jason
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That is a great file! thanks for sharing! This file is not the one I originally saw. Okie I think it was you who did the one I am talking about but I am not positive, The one I am talking about also had meat temps and would show how those were rising at each interval. Do you remember doing anything like that?
Looking forward to the IQ 4 map. I have done the bsicuit test and my hot spots seem to be on the non exhaust side both bottom and top racks I have the 7 rack set up and my racks are set up on the top of the 2 rack holder settings
quote:
Originally posted by GQue:
... Do you remember doing anything like that?
Looking forward to the IQ 4 map.

It's in that thread, but I've make it a picture and here it is.

IS this it?

This is the old FE, Traeger, pre-ramp model. I'm going to do it for the IQ eventually (with and without a vent cover)

It is an Omega, 4 channel. It will store like 16000 readings on each channel. you can then download to a PC and store or print graphs. There are different "probes" for different applications. I use "needle" probes to monitor my meat. They are like 16ga needles. For the grates, it comes with 4 thermistor sensors, very small wires. accurate to +/- .3 degrees, if I remember right. It has digital read out on the face. you can set the time interval for readings down to like 3 seconds and up to hours.
Go to google and enter omega and have a look.
Also, thermo pen has a single channel data logger the is pretty cool. have one of those also.
Sorry for the long post. Smiler
Smoke is 180.

Datalogger? Me, I'm old school, just a remote probe . Are you kidding me? Actually I'm pretty technical Big Grin

Gary if you want to do it, 4 is good, 5 is better. You'd have to figure out where to put the 4. You need all 4 corners and the middle.

Here's what you do. Figure out what temp you want to test. Set up the probes in position. Close the door and I waited 15 to 30 min to make sure the temps had settled (you can monitor the temps to determine that too. Log the temps.

Open and move the probes to a new setting. KEY is keeping them straight and use the same probe for the same position vertically.

I just made an excel spreadsheet to log the numbers in.

If it was me, with a data logger, I'd think about testing.

Sound like a plan?

The reason I haven't done it, is you pretty much have to do 30 min for each shelf, x 4 so that's 2 hours, then x temp that's 5 so 10 hours for testing.

Key is you want to make sure the temps have stabilized.

For ME? I'd like to also test this with and without a vent.

Know a good place I can buy a 6 channel datalogger? Did a google search, do many models to figure out. I'd put one probe right next to the temp sensor to verify the temp at that location.
Russ,
This looks good. I can use my single probe for the middle. I have the 7 rack system in my FEC, so it will take a bit more time. Although, I'm not sure how important it is for the extra 3 shelves.
6 probes would be great, BUT they are pretty pricy!
My 4 channel will download into Excel, just have to figure out how to do it again. Smiler
on the vent, I usually use a 90 degree facing down. will that make that much difference?
Last edited by Former Member
Can you send me a recommended logger?

Understand the probe cost.

I think the question on vent is more one of DOES it impact and we wouldn't know until we tested.

The extra three shelves shouldn't matter, yoou could interprelate between the shelfs as long as you placed the four shelves equally.

Russ
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Can you send me a recommended logger?

Understand the probe cost.

I think the question on vent is more one of DOES it impact and we wouldn't know until we tested.

The extra three shelves shouldn't matter, yoou could interprelate between the shelfs as long as you placed the four shelves equally.

Russ

Sure, go to www.omega.com.
The probes shown are not "insertation" probes, but the ones needed for our tests. If you use them, they are very small and the wire is pretty stiff. the way I secure them into a specific place is with an aligator clip from radio shack. I just threaded it through and it holds. I also recommend the AC adapter.

Four-Channel Data Logger with USB and RS232
HH309A

Four Channel Temperture Data Logger

• 4 Type K Thermocouple Inputs

• Displays 4 Channels Simultaneously or 2 Channels with Delta

• Data Logger with 16,000 Records per Channel

• USB and RS232 Interface with Windows Software

• Real-Time Clock

• Auto Power-Off

• HOLD Function

• MAX/MIN Function

• Resolution 0.1°C/0.1°F

• Low Battery Indication

View related products - Handheld Instruments for Temperature Measurement
I just spent a wonderful afternoon with a cold brewski, my FEC100, and 5 Taylor probes "mapping" my cooker. I was bored.
I dont give a flip about variations in temp, but some folks have an interest in it.

I spent about 1.5 hours creating a new topic here with all the data.
Tried to post it, but I had forgot to give it a title.
Soctware kicked it back.
So, I lost all my work.
I will not do it again on this software.
When I get a chance, I will post the numbers elsewhere and link to them or cut and paste back here.

Bottom line-- +14-15 on the top shelf was the max variation. That's nothing in my opinion.

Later,

TIM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.