Skip to main content

Hello, I am new to the FEC world. I currently own a Backwoods Competitor and have been kicking the idea around about switching to an FEC-100.

I guess I am looking for pro's/con's of making the switch. I like my Competitor, but also like the idea of not dealing with lump, and the messy water pan.

A little about what I do. I mainly vend events where the majority of what I do is pulled pork. I say 90% of the time I will be smoking pork butts. I will do ribs and brisket from time to time though.

I've just started reading on the FEC info. I read that you get no smoke ring with them. Is that true? If so, why? Not that it matters as long as the flavor is still there.

So thats it, I'd really like to hear your feedback and thoughts, and hope that there are some users on here that have used both cookers.

Thanks again
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the CS forum Grux.

I use an FEC100 at my restaurant and while we're not a BBQ joint, I've smoked butts, shoulders, ribs, chickens, briskets, you name it. The simplicity of use is mind boggling simple...load the meat, set time & temp and hit the ON pad.

What you won't get with your Backwoods is a probe/hold feature. I can walk away from butts and/or briskets overnight and return the next morning to perfectly smoked meat resting at 140.

I don't know where you heard about lack of smoke ring...not true. It isn't as pronounced as a stick burner but it's there. Two stage smoking will further increase it. The Cookshack ELECTRIC smokers will not produce a SR.

My advice, pull the trigger. You'll love the FEC.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
...I don't know where you heard about lack of smoke ring...not true. It isn't as pronounced as a stick burner but it's there.

...The Cookshack ELECTRIC smokers will not produce a SR.

Not to split hairs Max, but you certainly can get a SR with the electric line you just need to burn some charcoal to get the nitrates (but I'll save that for another thread)

Grux,

Yup, it's a common question. #1 issue is which brand of pellets. I teach classes locally and all the time I'm getting comments about "wow, what a SR".

The KEY question is smoke flavor. The #1 thing I hear about is how much or how little or how whatever regarding the smoke. Will it be the same? Don't know. My ideas of Smoke Flavor and yours will be different.

The FE burns cleaner/more efficient so you're always cooking with pretty clear smoke. Almost impossible to get an oversmoked/creosote taste (I don't remember ever hearing that it DOES oversmoke).

Other than that, there are a lot of good qualities and it's a butt cooking machine. KEY is to make sure it's level and the grease drains off.
Thanks for the feedback guys. The more I read on these the more I am liking it. I always make a mess with all the charcoal/wood chunk ash.

How much ash would a load of pork butts produce? And on that same note, how much pellets would it take to do a load of pork butts?

Bear with me... I'm learning as I go.

There may be a Backwoods Competitor for sale rather soon Smiler
Because the FE is so effecient (800 degree insulation) once it comes up to temp and you leave the door closed, it can be very little.

If you buy a 20 lb bag for $15 or less, then you'll talking less than an $1 per hour. Really comes down to how much you pay for pellets.

I don't do the math, maybe someone else has tracked the costs closer.
Here's a couple of con's about the FEC. First, it has moving parts and moving parts can and do fail. I haven't had an issue in the 8 months that I have owned mine. Another issue is power. Have a back up plan.

The Backwoods are nice smokers and they don't have the issues mentioned above but they also have their own disadvantages. Sleep, charcoal, etc. I have several "team friends" that use backwoods and while they really like them they eye my FEC100.
quote:
Originally posted by AZScott:
Here's a couple of con's about the FEC. First, it has moving parts and moving parts can and do fail. I haven't had an issue in the 8 months that I have owned mine. Another issue is power. Have a back up plan.

The Backwoods are nice smokers and they don't have the issues mentioned above but they also have their own disadvantages. Sleep, charcoal, etc. I have several "team friends" that use backwoods and while they really like them they eye my FEC100.

If parts are on hand, would it be a quick fix?
Yes, I've been into mine and It's very easy to change controller boards, augers, fans, sheer pins. I would not think any of those would take longer than 20 minutes with simple tools, especially if you were trying to hurry at a comp. The cover is also incredible. Just put it on and zip it up and keep smoking come rain, snow, sleet or whatever. Perfect!
The power is simple. At a contest run a battery/inverter set up. We've got a couple of great threads about that.

The parts:

Most likely to break would be the ignitor. It's sitting in a pot of hot pellets and sometimes they just go. Easy enough to ignite a fire without one with some starter jell or a handheld blow torch. Once the fire is lit, it doesn't use the ignitor.

Next in line: the fuse or the auger pin. The pin will break if pellets get stuck and it sheers on purpose so as not to kill the auger motor. I've never had either one happen.

Controller board? I haven't heard of on going bad. I've heard them go wacky, but a power on/off usually solves them.

What else had gone wrong. Oh yeah, fires. Fires happen because grease fills up, spills over and gets to the fire. Keep it clean and level and you won't have a problem.

Russ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.