Skip to main content

Well I just bought an FEC-100 3 weeks ago and am glad I did, but am disappointed that Cookshack didn't mention that they were coming out with this new model, because I would have liked to compare it before deciding which to buy. I do seem to be getting ash in the upper part of my cooker (I know it's good fiber, but I'd rather not have it on my food); and because the new 120 has a separate firebox I'll bet it avoids this problem. I'm not sure I would have had, or spent, the extra money for the 120 but it's curious that Cookshack never mentioned this new model was just about to come out because they clearly knew about it then--I got an email annoucing the 120 about 6 days after my 100 arrived.
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
Any news on then FEC 120? When's it hitting the website? I'd like to put a couple of these in a bbq trailer.
They are in production now. I contacted John Shiflet at CS for pricing and specifications. My concern after reviewing the Spec's is the 5" spacing between the shelves and venting it outside the trailer. I am not interested in using a fan hood.
I spoke with John today about the FEC-120 as well. It looks like orders are taking about 10 days to ship. I want to add a second FEC but still not sure about which way to go. I really like the capacity of the 120, but I'm not all that thrilled with the venting and no options to direct the smoke. For outside use I can turn the 90 degree elbow on my FEC-100 down to keep rain out of the cook chamber. With the 120 rain will eventually run into the cook chamber, then the grease drip pan potentially spilling grease on my trailer deck.
I just cooked outdoors on my FEC 120 this past weekend. A storm came through so, I moved it from my driveway to the inside edge of my garage. I moved it out of the elements because I didn't want my brand new smoker or its electronics to get wet. I was never worried about huge amounts of water running down the vents (not that it couldn't happen). Also prior to the storm, got some 30 mph gusts which had no effect on the venting or smoker temp.

I don't think it would be too hard to keep rain away from the vents if cooking outdoors, using a pop up canopy, making a simple sheet metal canopy or even attaching an umbrella. Again, I'm more concerned about keeping the electronics dry.

Regarding the 5" clearance of the shelves- I did ten 9lb+ pork butts, 2 per shelf, and had no clearance issues. Overall the FEC 120 worked great.
so does the 120 have a convection fan in it? I wonder if it gives off the same amount of smoke as the 100. Also, if it does have a fan, does it dry the meat out? Also, how does it compare with cooking times with the FEC 100? I wish someone who owned both would do a comparision to help us. I saw on someone's website they were selling it and said it uses 1/2 pound per hour, which is less than the FEC. When is it going to make it on the CS website?
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
so does the 120 have a convection fan in it? I wonder if it gives off the same amount of smoke as the 100. Also, if it does have a fan, does it dry the meat out? Also, how does it compare with cooking times with the FEC 100? I wish someone who owned both would do a comparision to help us. I saw on someone's website they were selling it and said it uses 1/2 pound per hour, which is less than the FEC. When is it going to make it on the CS website?

I've had an FEC100 and now have had my FEC120 for two weeks. Yes, it does have a convection fan at the top of the cooking chamber. I've not noticed any drying out and if anything, it seems to hold more moisture in than the FEC100. I'm also getting great bark and the amount of smoke is about the same as the FEC100. As far as pellets, that also seems the same. It does take much longer to get up to temperature than the 100, likely caused by the large increase in thermal mass which is a good thing because when you open the door during a cook it seems to recover much quicker. Cooking times have been exactly the same as the 100 because you're still cooking at the same temps. I'm extremely pleased with my new FEC120.
Depending on the temp ranges, I'd like to know how it does at the lower temps, I think it would be awesome for that.

Not sure how many of them are out there so we haven't received a ton of comments, but there was one comment (think it was Butcher) that said it tended to dry the surface of the food a little bit more.

As much room as I have on my deck, I'd like one, but Mrs. Smokin would probably give me a REAL hard time. And it's foodprint is bigger. I'd like to get one just for testing purposes.
If I ever start a jerky business, I'm thinking multiple FEC 120s. With all the racks the same size, I could just season the meat on the racks (I use dry cure), load them on bakery racks (slightly modified), roll the in the cooler for a two day cure, roll them out and load them in the smokers. I think I'd rather have one with the seven (or even a 8 or 9) rack system. I think a FEC 500 or 750 would be a pain loading and unloading with the way I do jerky. The other thing with the 120 is I'd like to have FEC 100 legs on it, where I wouldn't have to bend down so far to load and unload.
I haven't done any really low temp cooks below about 210 degrees. I've never found that it dried anything out, everything has been nice and juicy. It does seem to cook a little faster than an FEC100 though, probably because of the efficiency of the convection effect. I'm quite pleased with my FEC120.
hmmmmm interesting string of thoughts. i have had my fec100 for about 4 yrs. now. i am just a backyard cook who feeds a lot of company and friends. I previously owned a couple of traeger smokers but all i can say is i wouldn't trade me fec100 for anything. Stuart knows his business better than anyone i have seen and i am sure the new product will sell well for those that fit the bill. my bill is the fec100 and i thank him for it.
all i can say is great job on all your equipment and designing them to meet as many cooks needs as possible. thats what makes a company successful in the long run.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.