Skip to main content

Recently tried Smokin's Prime Rib 101 method on an 8-lb rib eye roast. Actually did this twice within 3 days - wanted to experiment with seasonings & etc., and both times had trouble getting unit up to higher temp at second part of cook. Started off at 180* temp for 3-3/4 hrs until meat got to 100*, then removed from smoker (per Smokin's instructions) while smoker temp was reset to 375*. After 45 minutes of trying, smoker only up to 340* or so. Did not want to wait any more so I put meat back in for remaining portion of cook. Smoker still never got to 375* - only about 360*, even after another 45 or so minutes. Fire pot fan was running on higher setting the whole time and pellets were dropping into fire pot, but the amount of flame in fire pot did not seem as much as it is when I first start-up the unit. It was just a good medium size flame - not the big blaze as I've seen at start-up. Don't think the auger was feeding pellets as fast as it does when starting-up either, but since there is no tachometer for the auger, that's only a guess. I am wondering if the controller (running FE67 program now) might have two programs for pellet feed - alot for start-up, and then another, moderate amount for just bringing back to set temp. I discussed this with Bill at CS's Customer Service and he did not have a good answer as to why it would take so long to get to that higher temp. We talked about maybe having to 'trick' smoker back into start-up mode using reset button and then start button.

My FEC100 does come up to desired set temp at start-up fairly quickly - around 20 minutes or so from push of the Start Button. I am using BBQ'rs Delight pellets, hickory/oak blend. Outside temps were in the 55*-60* range. In previous cooks, I have not had a problem bumping temp up 20*-50* during a cook when so desired. But this time bumping the temp up about 200* more seemed to take forever.

Anyone have any little tricks as to how to raise temp up that much a little quicker or is that just the way things are?

P.S. To Smokin, Your Prime Rib 101 is GREAT. Lots of nice red yummy tasting smoky meat!
Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

How long have you had the 100?? Have you ever removed the firepot and vacuum out the ash?? I am talking about removing the two screws on the front of the pot and slide it forward to get a vacuum down there. You would be surprised how much ash can build up from falling through the small holes and it is in direct line with the fan, so it might not be moving enough air to get up to the hotter temps. Just a thought.

David
quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog:

I did talk to Cookshack and they did not have any suggestions.

Whom did you speak with? That's very uncharacteristic of them to not offer you a solution. Typically, you should be able to bump temps in a FEC100 from 180 to 375 in less than 30 minutes.

I'd call CS again and ask for Bill. Your FEC is under warranty. I would be inclined to ask for a new control board if a specific solution isn't made abailable to you.
Glad you enjoy the recipe.

It's hard to isolate, but anytime I'm trying to dump up the temp faster than the FEC normally goes, I just go with the manual method mentioned. I just throw some pellets in, wait, throw some more.

Typically that would be say cooking at 180 but wanting to go up above 300.

The FE will do it, but the auger can only turn so fast.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.