Skip to main content

Anybody have the ribs racks for the FEC100. I'm doing a big rib feed and am going to use 4 racks and wonder if the cooking time is longer, any tricks to it, etc. Too expensive to practice with a cooker full of ribs, so the first time I use it full up will be at the event. Makes me a little nervous. I just ordered the racks, 4 of them.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

tom
i don't know if this will help or not
i don't have the racks for the fec but i have used them in peg's sm150.
i loaded the ribs bone side to bone side to get the best color on the presentation side.
the cooking time as i remember only went up about 25% but like you i was nervous and my notes aint the best (well maybe they are if i could dechipher them)
when done i took them out and glazed and glazed up 4 at a time. this was done in rotation so i could cut the previous 4. hope that makes sense.
hope this helps some
jack
Tom,

Send an email to Ribdog or Firehouse, I believe they've used the FE with the rib racks. I've used 2 but not four.

For me, I'd just look at the ribs themselves and see how they space in there. The key is the "width" of the racks and how they stand up in the racks. Spares stand up pretty well at St. Louis cut. I'd just make sure to do a swap, top for bottom and rotate the racks 2 & 3 about 1/2 way through (rotate to compensate for that hot spot along the back left corner).

Sure it will work fine.
We used three at a time .

They worked great.

The fourth on the bottom,you will need to rotate for even cooking.

Like Smokin said,we did loinbacks and paid attention to spacing and airflow.

They'll probably suggest loading several at a time in foil pans,with a little apple juice to finish.

We have foiled to hold and then glazed on a Belson flat cooker,just before serving.

Tom-Fl

John or Craig will probably come in later and give their thoughts.
Tom C,

I originally purchased four racks for my FEC but later decided that I did not want to cook more than 30 racks of ribs at a time. And it worked great for us. I will give you one piece of advice. Spray the racks with some Pam or such because the ribs tend to stick on the bottom. This may also be because I cleaned all the good grease from the last time I used them.

Excellent racks. Could not ask for better for the money.

John

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.