Skip to main content

Please help!! We just received our new fec120, have 2 days on it for both rib and brisket and pulled pork cycles, and to ONCE has it comp up to temp correctly. After 30+ min at 350 it's still only coming up into the 180's. I'm trying to do a batch of ribs, had it set at 275 and it only came up into the 160's so I tried bumping it up. Can anyone help or give me some ideas? We have a massive day tomorrow and need to get about 80 slabs of ribs plus some chicken smoked over multiple cycles.

Thanks,

Ryan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure I can help, but can share my FEC 120 experience.

FEC 120 took over an hour to get up to temp (235F) on my first cook. Cookshack said they had a couple 120's at the plant taking long periods to get up to temp. All my cooks since (over 20) have only taken 20-30 minutes to get up to 250F - 275F. My guess is that the auger took the entire first cook (butts for 14+ hours) to get completely filled with pellets.

Also during the first cook, I checked the firebox compartment several times (out of curiosity) during the 'get up to temp' period which led to periodic temp drops. I no longer open the firebox door during a cook, nor do I open the smoker door for the first 2+ hours of a cook. I use Cookshack hickory pellets.

I have been cooking large loads of butts, briskets, etc. but have yet to pack the FEC 120 full. I have noticed during cooking that there seems to be a 'burn/smolder' cycle for the pellets. The temp cycles within 10-14 degrees of the cook temp, dropping to the lower end during smolder while a more noticeable amount of smoke is venting from the unit (Example- cook temp is 250F but temp may cycle between 240F & 254F with smoke venting more at around the 240F level). This cycle also occurs while getting up to temp.

You'll hopefully have a chance to talk to someone at Cookshack soon. Good luck.
With new H/W sometimes comes issues and that's bad for you but I don't know a quick fix to solve it.

I can't tell what's wrong, so the quickest would always be to call CS. Tony and Bill will help resolve it.

Could be controller, could be fans, could be temp probe.

On trick, used in Emergencies, is to throw some pellets in. The problem with that is you can't throw too much or it will get WAY hot (don't ask how I know). That's just a stop gap.

Call CS today and ask for Tony/Bill.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.