Skip to main content

We are opening a 44 seat BBQ/tavern and can't decide if we should go with the 300 or the 500 to start. Honestly I'm leaning to the 300 only because if things go well (hope for the best but plan for the worst!) I can always add another 300 to give us more options on foods and cooking times. anyone have any helpful ideas? Also I see where both units have built in "hold" settings, that doesn't really take the place of a good commercial holding unit right?
thanks for any help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MC...

I run a place with 56 seats and have a 500 unit. During most of the week a 300 would suffice, but on weekends we almost don't have enough room in the 500.

We do pork, ribs and chicken everyday with brisket on Wednesday and Sunday only. Mainly because of size issues. You have to ask yourself if paying a few more thousand now for the 500 is benificial than not having the right equipment to capitalize on business you may lose from not buying the right smoker at the get go.

I would suggest a 500 now. If need be, down the road, add another 300. The 500 gives you the ability to start off right.

As for proper holding cabinet...no the "holding" stage in the smoker will not allow for you to continue cooking if you need to do more ribs or such for the day. I would suggest getting a heated/humidy cabinet to store food in during the day. Pull from the humidy cabinet to the plate. I use a Metro C5 model.

Hope this helps.

Sean
www.kisersbbqshack.com
Thanks Sean, that is very good info to have. Your menu sounds comparible to what ours will be. Do you have problems with cooking the different meats together? I have to admit I'm just the owner and my chef is a compeditive BBQ guy so I'm sure he will figure out the ways to use this machine. From my stand point, you feel this machine makes you a good ROI? Man I would love to pick your brain on how you progressed to where you are, but I'm guessing you didn't do it spending time answering newbe questions...lol. So thanks for the time you have given and best of luck.

Chuck

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.