Skip to main content

Well... my new to me concession trailer has been sitting in the back yard for a week now (bought PrisonChef's rig). Stupid work schedule Confused has prevented me from firing it up until now. Just using the FEC100 on this one...loaded up with 4 butts, 1 brisket and a 1/2 pork loin. Smoked for the first hour or so on 180 and just bumped it up a few minutes ago.

Told my buddy who brought over a couple of butts that I sure did miss my burn barrel and shovel Big Grin. We both got a good laugh out of that. At least we would have a large fire to stand around...it was 30 degrees out when I loaded the pit.

Might as well say up front that I will lurk far more than I will post, but will be glad to answer any questions I can. What a great resource this forum is.

I'd like to take the opportunity to publicly thank Jack (Prisonchef) and his lovely wife Peggy for all their help and encouragement. They very generously included their cooking logs and some recipes with the unit...very detailed records & I deeply appreciate it.

Off to check temps........John
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ask and ye shall receive:-)

No real problems...at least none that could be attributed to the equipment. All cooking was done on the FEC100 and the SM150 was used as a holding oven. This was my first time cooking with this gear and I am very impressed. Pellet usage was higher than expected. I ran for almost 12 hours in 30-40 degree temps and used about 12 lbs. No clue if that is normal.

Did 4 butts, 1/2 pork loin (6 lb.) and a brisket flat (6.5 lb.) Everything went in at the same time...about 7:30 a.m.

Butts- Did 4 that probably averaged 7 lbs. Cooked for 1 1/2 hrs. on smoke setting and then bumped to 250 and stayed there. I decided to cook to 190 then wrap & put into the holding oven. I did this with two of them & the guests arrived shortly after they were foiled. Pulling just a few minutes after wrapping these were a little tough. Ended up chopping the meat & it was fine for sandwiches. Not spectacular, but certainly presentable. The other two butts were for a friend & were foiled at 170 per his request. They spent a couple of hours in the holding oven at 150 until he left. No feedback on those yet.

Pork Loin- Done in three hours as expected...pulled at 140, sliced enough for a sandwich. It was great! Nice color, good smoke ring, moist & tender. Foiled around 11:00 and into the SM 150 at 150 till 7:00 p.m., it was still fine and probably the best part of dinner.

Brisket- Have to check my notes but it probably cooked for 9 hrs. and pulled at 190. This was maybe the fourth brisket I've ever cooked. It was amazing. Great color, tender, moist and a great smoke ring. Tasted great also. As good as I have ever had. Foiled it and into the SM for probably a couple of hours...started to splash a little beer on it but did not. Probably a mistake...the brisket was the only real disappointment at dinner. It was pretty dry. Did not hold well. I have some lessons to learn here. At least on the holding and serving end.

Only other thing I did was a couple of pans of baked beans (8X8). Used a couple cans of beans per pan and squirted a little mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce & molasses on top, added a dash of Worcestershire, a handful of chopped onion & bell pepper and about 1/2 lb. of pulled pork per pan. Placed in the smoker under a butt for about 2 hrs. Came out real well.

That's it. Spent the day cooking Q, learned a bit and have a lot to learn. Mostly just getting to know the equipment...and I have to say that I am impressed with both of my Cookshack units and am looking forward to becoming better versed in their use.

I do have pictures of everything & will try and post some tomorrow. Just too tired at the moment & still have to get a report emailed to my boss.
Last edited by Former Member
My only comments would be on several of the items you cook to a specific temp. I know Jack was detailed in his notes, but you can't take them and make them work for you without a lot of practice.

I use a practical approach and I put them when they hit the stage I want, not a specific time. I'll have some briskets sliceable at 190 (rarely) but more like at least 195, but that's for my taste

for pulled pork I also go to 195, but some will take higher. I poke it to determine doneness. When you foil WILL have an impact. If you wrap late it will just hold it, if you wrap early (like 170) it will braise it more and typically be done a little quicker (and retain juices).

Jack is a chef, not a BBQ guy so his perspective is as a Professional cook and that will bring a lot of that kind of background. Use his info, but modify it to make it your own for your own tastes/methods.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
My only comments would be on several of the items you cook to a specific temp. I know Jack was detailed in his notes, but you can't take them and make them work for you without a lot of practice.

I use a practical approach and I put them when they hit the stage I want, not a specific time. I'll have some briskets sliceable at 190 (rarely) but more like at least 195, but that's for my taste

for pulled pork I also go to 195, but some will take higher. I poke it to determine doneness. When you foil WILL have an impact. If you wrap late it will just hold it, if you wrap early (like 170) it will braise it more and typically be done a little quicker (and retain juices).

Jack is a chef, not a BBQ guy so his perspective is as a Professional cook and that will bring a lot of that kind of background. Use his info, but modify it to make it your own for your own tastes/methods.

Exactly. I have done enough of this to have a good idea of what works for me...the learning curve is mostly due to going from stickburners to the Cookshack units.

I appreciate everyone's input, including Jacks...but do bring my own experience to the party. Pretty much a noob on the briskets though:-) I am looking forward to learning from the folks here.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.