Skip to main content

Well, I did 6 racks of ribs Sat. I tried to document everything as I've been taught by the masters of this forum. I started out by removing the membrane from each rack, then, after weighing each rack, I put them in numbered platers. This way I could keep track of weight, particular rub and placement in smoker. I used two different rubs. One was a definite hit while the other wasn't liked very much. Could have been too much of it though.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Membrane_Removal
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Do some temp mapping on your FE. You'll find slight variances between spots on the rack.

I'll rotate my racks/ribs if I'm doing a big batch. I'll also position smaller ribs together and bigger ribs together so they come off together. Key about weighing the ribs is too know the smaller ribs (likely) will come off faster than the others.

Best part about experimenting, is eating the experiment.

Ribs 1-3 look good, 4-6 look very dark. Which did you prefer?
Ribs 4-6 were very dark. I suspect it was because they were in the smoker for an extra 1/2 hour with the glaze on them. They were more tender than the smaller ones, but no one cared for the flavor of the rub. Might have just had too much of it on them, don't know. I did have the ribs "grouped" by size. I kept the same numbering and placement as I had on the platters just for the monitoring of the results. Still lot's to learn and I guess I need more temp probes to map out my smoker better.
Sounds like you are working a plan,to get where you want to be.

One thought would be to just season up your slabs,as you are preheating the cooker,and then go right to the cooker-rather than 3 hrs in the refrig.

Especially on injected ribs,they can get "hammy" tasting.

As you said,not too much meat on ribs,and easy to overseason.

Yep,as to the dark ribs,any sugar can darken quickly,if left much time,or much temp.

Lots of folks may just put them back in at around 200º for 15 mins,to set the glaze.
Hmmm...

I figured you were using Texas Pepper Jelly. I haven't tried the Tabasco stuff, but I'll look into it. I'm just now getting into the pepper jellies due to Texas pepper jellies. Before I had some BBAAAAAD experiences over and over from folks around here and had almost put them in the part of my mind that gives an ideomotor effect of grabbing the stuff from them and throwing it in the trash as soon as I heard the words "pepper jelly". Big Grin

But, luckily I'm open to try new jellies again. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.