Skip to main content

I have had my 008 for a few years now and love it, the only problem is that more and more people are asking for more and more sausage to buy from me and the 008 is on over-time trying to keep up with the orders.
So I think I got my wife talked into letting me buy either an 050 or 055, I'm leaning twards the 050 because I will keep my new smoker in my garage with the 008.
The 050 will free up the 008 so I can cook other things other than sausage, thats what the 050 will take over.
How do you 050 owners like it and am I doing the right thing with an 050 or should I go bigger?

Thanks
Bud
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have the answer you are looking for. I have a 55 and a 08.

I bought the 55 a year ago and then in August I bought an 08 for our place in NM. Just couldn't stomach the thought of not being able to BarbQ, when I'm there for work.

Biggest difference is size. The 55 will hold a lot 4 large Pork Butts with the 08, mayber 2 depending how you load the smoker but probably closer to the 1.

The other noticieable thing is that the drain pan on the 55 has slots and its own drain pan.
The 08, you have to put a temporary drain pan and if the wind catches just right especially in Oklahoma. Forget it, the messis the oly drawback.

Like the 08, Love the 55.
Next purchase will be the Americue, just because it's even bigger than the 55.
thx

Its Superbowl Sunday and we are going to a party. I have about 100 Wings in the 55, wouldn't ever be able to do that with my 08.
I love my 55, Budman. Always seems to be plenty of room, and mine gets really hot when I need it to. The heating element is quite hefty (I won't get into the discussion of differences between the 50/55 element and the Amerique element, but safe to say the 50/55 gets very hot, and works like a charm).

I just hung 8 racks of ribs with 20 hot links on a shelf for a Super Bowl party and had room to spare.

And it's still simple, simple, simple!
The 050 is a fine smoker as is the Amerique. The 050 is also 50% bigger than the 008. Ive cooked everything from smoked sausage to 23 lb turkeys in my 050. Ive done 45 lbs of pork butts at once, 38 lbs of beef short ribs at once, cooked 16 of those cornish rock hens at once, so I guess it all depends on how much you really need to cook large quantities. I would call CS folks and talk to them. They can help you more than anyone, and as always stand behind what they sell.

bob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.