Skip to main content

I'm having an outdoor kitchen built but can't figure out a good way to integrate this bad boy into the kitchen. So, my first question is: has anyone inserted the FEC-100 into an outdoor kitchen? If so, I'd greatly appreciate some ideas on how to make it look right.

My second question has to do with the portability of the unit. For winter storage, I'd like to lay it on it's back and roll it underneath the floor of my covered deck. The floor is approximately 4 ft off the ground, so I was thinking I could use a dolly/cart to lay the FEC-100 on its back and roll it under the porch. Any reason why that would not work and/or would be a bad idea? Obviously I'd remove the racks, drip pan, etc. before going horizontal.

Thanks in advance. So looking forward to getting one of these.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm with Grux.

If you're going to the trouble of building it in, do you REALLY want to make it out twice a year.

Use it.

The 800degree insulation will allow it to work all you want during the winter. Christmas a few years ago, I had 2' of snow to shovel out to get to my FE but it made an awesome Prime Rib.

Get the cover.

I leave mine on the deck all year round.
My FEC100 is parked behind my restaurant and sits under an eave to shield it from rain & snow. I bought it with the cover. The beauty of the cover is it's design. You can easily access the door and control panel while keeping the unit under cover. I've managed to smoke product in the dead of Vermont winter temps (-10o) with zero negligible effects as to internal cook temps or timing. Buy the cover.

Not sure what to suggest as to building it in to an outdoor kitchen. As I already mentioned, just give it some overhead protection from rain, snow, etc. It's a pretty handsome unit and will look good anywhere Smiler

@Smokin...any new updates/pics of the deck?
Thanks all. I'm definitely going to get the cover, but I guess my main concern is with the electronics in the unit. Sounds like this cover does a better job than the covers I'ved used on grills in the past.

Good to know this baby can handle Ohio and Vermont winters. KC winters aren't THAT bad.

One more question. I've read many posts about owners adding a nice vent pipe and cover to the side exhaust tube. Does this improve performance at all or is this more of a looks thing?

Again, thanks for the quick response. I'm pumped. Unfortunately I need to wait 3-4 weeks before the porch and patio are done. Of course, there's always the driveway.... Smiler
The FEC100 will do everything it's supposed to do without a vent pipe. Most owners have them parked outside, and those who add a vent pipe do so to prevent wind, rain, etc. from disturbing the internal temp & airflow. In my case I added a 90 degree vent, pointed down, attached to the vent via a collar. I've yet to have the firepot go out, or have wind/rain/snow interfere with the smoking process.

Be forewarned, driveway smoking may earn you a whole bunch of new friends from the neighborhood Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin E:
One more question. I've read many posts about owners adding a nice vent pipe and cover to the side exhaust tube. Does this improve performance at all or is this more of a looks thing?

We all have the same smokers/electronics. I've never had an issue with an FE kept outside that I use the cover with. It protects the electronics as well.

Venting. For me? I see more issues with people installing vents than I hear success stories. Usually has to do with airflow/pressure keeping it from working. Air will come back down the vent and it can create backdraft issues.
After a flameout, CS suggested I add a 90 degree adjustable elbow, which I did. I had to use a furnace crimper to add a few more crimps to the default 5" elbow you can find at Home Depot to help it fit the FEC-100 vent, but after that it fits pretty well... and no flameouts since either. Mine points horizontally behind the unit 99% of the time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.