Skip to main content

Well, wondered what the topic would be, but my 8,000th post was a request for info from Mop in another thread. I didn't want it to get lost, so I started a new thread:

quote:
........now can I hit you up for some Brisket tips?
I`m going to do my first in the cooker soon..
Thanks .
Mop

Yeah, right, ME give Brisket tips. 4 contests and ONE call in Brisket this year. There is the Brisket 101, but it's at least 6 years old now and it's in serious need of an update.

But....here's some info.

Use choice or better.

For the FE, keep it simple. Put a coating of rub on the brisket and I like to let it sit for 4 to 6 hours. I then reseason it just before I put it in.

For one brisket, put it on the third shelf from the top, fat side down. Set the temp for 225 to 250 (your preference). Don't TOUCH the brisket, don't flip, until it hits 170. Reseason and wrap and pull at 195 to 200 for slicing or maybe 205 for pulling/chopping.

Russ

P.S. 8000 posts? What was I thinking? If I took 3 min on each one of those posts (that's just typing a response, not reading), that's 400 hours of responding.

Can you tell I love to help teach and talk BBQ?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smokin
First of all, thanks so much for your dedication to this stuff we all love so much. You and other experienced Q'ers are to be commended for your willingness to share with us. For us newbies it is a valuable wealth of information.

My question is about putting the fat side down. I have only done a couple briskets but put the fat side up thinking it would baste as it cooks. Is the "fat side down till 170" unique to the FE or do you recommend this for the CS also? Also the wrapping? Thanks for the help.

Jack
In case Smokin' is working too much at his real job,I'll offer a couple thoughts.

Some folks will start either way,and never flip,or always flip.

FEC folks seem to feel that having the fat between the heat source and the flat is a good thing.

Personally,I'm not sure what the "basting" is accomplishing-compared to interspersed fat.

Just my $0.02
quote:
Originally posted by hayman:
My question is about putting the fat side down. I have only done a couple briskets but put the fat side up thinking it would baste as it cooks. Is the "fat side down till 170" unique to the FE or do you recommend this for the CS also? Also the wrapping? Thanks for the help.

Jack

I personally think the "fat rendering down through the brisket will keep it moist" is an Urban Legend I wish I could get the MythBusters to tackle. My theory is that after a point, the protein molecules of the meat will tighten up and NOTHING will penetrate. That's why the smoke ring only goes so far. That's why a bunch of basting and mopping only helps the outside flavor. It won't soak in.

But it's one of those theories that no one will ever agree with. Like Tom said, I'm with the FE crowd of putting it fat down for 1) to help with the heat from below, I learned that from Fast Eddy and 2) not to disturb the bark (I like a good, dark, hard, crusty bark and it seems to work best fat side down, don't flip).

I always say, try it in your cooker, individual results may vary Big Grin
Thanks very much gentlemen, much appreciated.
I can`t wait to try the brisket with the techniques decribed here.
SmokinOkie, congrats on the 8000th post.
Thats a milestone for sure.
Hey, I remember way back when on Basso's forum, I actually made the 100,000th post, however I didn`t post 100,000 messages......just the 100,000th post... Eeker
Smokin's method is EXACTLY what mine is right up till it gets in the smoker.

Now I gotta try fat side down. And when I get my FEC I gotta try fat side down, then up, wrapped and reseasoned. Big Grin Big Grin

Funny thing is that I'm quite happy with my brisket's flavor and texture, but if I ain't messin' with my BBQ........I ain't completely happy. Wink
Not directly on topic,but some cookers deliver heat ,from different direction, from the heat source,or a convection approach.

Rear,right or left side,or down from top, may work better.

The FEC intentionally produces widely varying temps,so logically, widely varying hot spots.

Smokin' did a great job mapping all areas,of all shelves,and had surprising results.

That is why most good cooks spend the time to learn their individual cookers,and take GOOD NOTES!

Just a thought. Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.