Skip to main content

I have done my research, and that it why I am on this site.

My questions for anyone who can help is:

I am trying to decide on which one to buy the Smokette or Supersmoker. The Smokette measures 20.5”W x19.5” D x31.75” H and the supersmoker measures 20.5" W x 19.5" D x 35.75" H. That is only 4 inch difference for almost double the price. Is it worth the extra?

I am also trying to decide if I should get the elite or essential series. From what I have read the only difference it the meat probe and stainless sides. If the meat probe shut it down and set it to hold then I could see getting it for the $150 to $225 extra. But it kinda seems alot for sides you may or may not even see and a meat probe. I don't know that it why I am here.

I am leaning toward the Smokette, but really not sure about the which series.

I am sure, I am not the only one with these questions on the new 2009 models.

Thanks for any input.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I too find the CS web site a bit confusing in truly understanding the various options of the current CS model lineup. After studying each web page I was still left with questions and ended up calling Karen at CS for clarification. Don’t hesitate to call the CS 800 number if you have questions. Inconsistencies for instance include: the Smokette Essentials is pictured in stainless steel exterior but is only available in black powder coat exterior. The Smokette Elite construction description indicates availability in black or stainless exterior; however the Elite series only come with stainless exterior.
A better description of the electronic controllers explaining the functions and limitations for each model would be a nice addition to each web page. Simply stating that the Elite series includes a meat temperature probes leaves several questions as to how this really works.
The Essentials series require manual time and meat temperature monitoring; that means you’ll have to have a separate timer and meat temperature probe. The Elite series does have the addition of the meat temperature probe but this does not include the hold function; as I understand it when the meat come to temp the heating element is cut off but the controller continues to monitor the temps.
Bottom-line is if you want timed cooking, meat temperature monitoring and the hold function the AmeriQue is your only option.
I created an Excel comparison matrix and have attached a JPEG here. Unfortunately we cannot attach an Excel file.
Corrections are welcome.
Hope this helps.

DB

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CS_compare
Last edited by tnq
I have been using a propane smoker for years with much success. It is not that safe around children (which I now have) and requires a lot of tending to it.

I looked all over the net for all kinds of smokers and landed here. I am so excited to have found such an awesome product and Built in the United States of America. Imagine that!!!

I am not so concerned with the hold feature. I am just trying to make the best long term purchase. As far as a meat probe I could buy a great wireless one for much less than the elite. There is the black vs the stainless. I Think they would both last equally.

I just thought I would post this to get as much feedback as possible to make the right decision.
I have a habit of not "reinventing the wheel." I always like to read reviews and opinions of others. Hands-on, always beats the written word.
quote:
Originally posted by redoakNC:
I would like a built-in meat probe. Wish it was an option on the essential. As you know, a reliable wired digital probe is $20 maybe.

Keep in mind, their probes are NOT the same as those cheap wireless ones (you know, the ones in here that frequently seem to go bad).

For me, I don't use the feature on my smokers and I HAVE the probe, for me, I just like to determine when it's done, not the smoker Big Grin
Thanks for the feedback! I have passed it on to our salespeople, and to "the boss". We take your opinions seriously! Any time you have a question, just pick up the phone and call our 800 number. We are here to help you have a great barbecue experience and we would love to talk with you.

I am working on getting the website updated so that the information is clearer.
I love this thing thing and am glad I got the 025. the probe works great. I have not had a lot of time to use it, but the time I have have been great. Having the stainless steel, looks really good too. I have not used the other type of probes so I can't really compare them to this. I have read a lot of reviews on them and many people say they tend to fail after a while. Since this probe is a commercial grade I think it will last. Between moving and family stuff, I have been dreaming of using it everyday. You will love it. I even got the cover for it, which I recommend if your having it exposed to the elements. Really heavy duty.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.