Skip to main content

I just recently got a new FEC-100 and have been using it about a week now. While working on a brisket today I noticed that smoke was most definitely coming from inside the pellet hopper which was only partially filled. I opened the hopper and sifted through the pellets and the ones near the bottow were warm to the touch. Anyone else here run into this issue recently.

I was running the unit outside and there was no wind. Temperature has been pretty consistently within 5-6 degrees of my set temperature so the unit seems to be working properly aside from the smoke leaving the hopper.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Keep in mind, smoke will find "any" avenue to get out. If there is wind coming in the side, it will actually work it's way up the auger.

CS totally redesigned the auger into the Ramp System so the fire issue before in the straight through design was removed (with a strong wind, the auger was in the firepot and actually allowed the fire to burn it's way back if the outside wind was strong enough. It happened in my original FE when the wind was about 40 MPH.

The "heat" souldn't spontaneously combust any pellets, You could watch the pellets coming out of the auger and you'll be able to see if they're on fire or not.

It's likely just smoke working it's way up the auger.

I've seen it on mine and checked the hopper and the pellets at the bottom weren't even warm.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.