Skip to main content

Yesterday I was helping a friend with his new FEC 300 using the hickory pellets that came with the cooker. he was smoking several sides of ribs some babybacks, 4 pork loins, several chickens and a few briskets. There were two problems, first at one time during the day the temperature spiked to 300 degrees (it was set at 240). Second none of the meats had any smoke flavor to speak of. Generally on the briskets it is easy to see a smoke ring when they are cut and there was none. The meats were like they were cooked in an oven, not a smoker. any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't speak for the 300 but.. I have the 100 and it took several cooks to season and break in my cooker. I was worried about the same thing but Rod Gray kept me telling me not to worry.

If it was new and you were doing a break in smoke, everything will improve with use. Again being new temperature spikes, and swings, seem to happen and and straighten out with use.

Just my opinion.
Just my opinion
Maybe your friend needs to stop by.

It will spike when it's first turned on because it's trying to dump pellets and ramp up to temp. We call it overshoot.

As far as smoke ring, it's a function of temp of the smoker and the meat and as they said above, the particular pellet brand you are using. There is such a variance.

Does your friend have any issues with it, since it's his smoker? Everyone's level of "smoke flavor" is so different, lots of people like a light smoke in the smoker so they don't try to get it on too heavy.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.