Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cousin,
Let us know how the controller and meat probe perform for you.
I think you'll really enjoy the FEC. If you get humid weather there, make sure to remove any leftover pellets from the hopper when you're done and vacuum out the hopper. I've heard tales of it turning to concrete in humidity.
That just reminded me. I'm not sure if we vacuummed ours yesterday....
Peggy
Cousin,
How I foil the FEC for easy cleanup. You probably are already familiar with this. I use heavy duty foil and line the floor of the FEC, poking my finger through the openings at the bottom front drain and the drain at the right front. I also place foil over the piece that slants, a piece across the fat catcher, the skinny piece that fits into the floor(shaped like an upside down L) poking a hole into the channel. The channel opening is easily cleaned out using a bottle brush. We use a disposable aluminum pan as the drain pain. At the end of a cook, we strip out the aluminum, put it all in the disposable pan, throw it out, vaccuum, reline with aluminum, and we're set for the next cook.
Good cooking!
Peggy

P.S. We clean it all out when necessary using lemon juice and a water rinse.
Thanks for the foil tip and the juice trick. Tried it out last night and was surprised that it worked that well. i am getting my FEC from a local distributor. He said that the new controller can be installed either by me or he will send his tech to install it. Can�t wait to get smokin. Cousin Belly
Belly,

Congrats on the smoker, you'll love it.

You might want to check with him. The new controller, as it's been explained to me, is not as easy as swapping out the old controller. It has a second fan and the probe insert.

Haven't heard CS's final answer about 'retrofitting' but I know they'd like it to be done in the field.

If he's a local guy, I guarantee he hasn't even SEEN the new controller. The new FE's haven't shipped to anyone.
Cousin,
I hope they also sent you a big bottle of Cookshack's Spicy BBQ sauce. The folks that buy from us at the market really like it on the chicken.
I've been marinating the chicken, usually drumsticks, with Catalina dressing, sprinkling a mixture of Jack's pork rub and HomeBBQ orange habanero(I use a sifter so they don't get big flakes of pepper) then after it's cooked at the high heat to crisp the skin, I sauce it and put it back in the smoker to set the sauce.
When I put it back in, I cut the smoker back to the smoke setting. Then it cools down so it's ready for Jack's stuff.
Peggy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.