Skip to main content

I see some folks are holding PB's in cambro type units and coolers that have been pre-heated. Seems the butts hold temp for a long time and stay in the food-safe range for quite awhile.
Do the health inspectors allow this method of finishing and holding the butts? I know that differents regions will have different regs - I'm just wondering what the general consensus is.

Can the FEC100 itself be used as a holding oven when not in use smoking? I am starting a food concession trailer with the smoker on board and trying to figure out the cooking & holding sequence that will satisfy the Health guys. Any input would be much appreciated!
Today I am firing up the smoker and doing temp checks. I have done one 10 hour smoke of PB's and had the burner blow out (or smother) around hour six ... of course the auger kept chugging along and the burn box was full when the problem was discovered. We did a restart and it fired up quickly and on we went, but it is disconcerting so am doing temp check today to see if the burner shuts down again. Hope not!! I guess I will call cookshack tomorrow to get help trouble shooting if there are more problems today. Any pointers on this matter would be helpful too.
I am so grateful to the folks who have posted pictures of meat loaded smokers and been so generous with information. It sure makes these first experiences smoking much easier. It's obvious there's a lot to learn!
One more question .... how many lbs. of wood pellets would you expect to use on a 225 degree 10 hour smoke? I'll be needing to order in pellets and am trying to calculate amounts.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Generally, 140o is the established low end of the food safety zone, so as long as your product remains above 140, you should be OK. Probably would be a good idea to check with your D.O.H. to be sure.

The FEC100 burns .75# of pellets at 250 according to CS specs.

The flame out issue has been discussed here a number of times recently. My IQ4 board is the 46 model and I've never had a problem. Calling CS would be a good idea.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks Maxque,
I am not sure what model I have ... the plaque on the front just says:
model: FEC100
the manufacture date is very recent : 5-19-11

Is that .75 lbs of pellets at 250 per hour?

Thanks for responding so quickly.

The smoker is running and so far today it's holding temp and staying lit. I live near the ocean .... close enough to have regular breeze/wind .... will this be a problem for me in terms of downdrafts etc. My smoker is installed on the trailer deck and has a chimney that extends up through the roof with a raincap installed on top? It rains here fairly often.

Rustbucket

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.