Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

John, I always vacuum out the firepot after every cook. This was a first cook on the IQ4 and I noticed the ash build up within 2 hours after start. I can see a potential problem in a 12+ hour cook...firepot fills with ash, glowing pellet coals hit the bottom of the cooker which may be greasy, resulting in FIRE. As it was, I dipped ashes out of the firepot (with a small ladle) to get the level down.
Candy Sue,I ran mine about 4-5 hrs as a breakin.

I ran it about 18 hrs,immediately after on a 17 lb shoulder.

I then ran it another 7-8 hrs on a brisket flat.

I had 1/3+ full firepot when I cleaned it the next day.

We ran John's,at this weekend's cookoff,around 3 hrs,doing tri-tips and then put packers on for about 12 hrs.

We then cooked ribs ,heated sauces,etc for another 6 hrs.

Never a problem.

Can't speak for yours,but that has been our limited experience,so far.

Tom-Fl
After a 18 hour burn, there is some buld up of ash Candy. Nothing to really worry about. I may have 10 pieces of pellets on the bottom? Unlit one's that bounced out of the pot. I've been using this cooker since March and have never had a problem with it. As you said, they are extremly quit. I am always checking it to make sure it's working... ;-) When I don't see smoke coming out of it I guess...
Candy,
This was the first impression that I got also, but I have found that the fire continues no matter how much ash collects. The IQ-4 is a phenomenonal controller, much more reliable than the Traeger controller. It is quiet, but I have had to check mine a few times to see if it was still burning because I did not see any visable smoke. (It was always still burning) I think when you get used to it, you will love it.

Mike Chester
quote:
Originally posted by Candy Sue:
I ran mine 10+ hours. I really do think it's the mesquite pellets that generated so much ash. I'm very, very impressed with the temp control. Too durn quiet though! At a contest, I'll bet I'm checking on it more cause it's so quiet.

Had the same problem when I first used it. Too darn quiet. Wasn't sure if it was on or not. Yup, now the neighbors can't complain at contests about how noisy the FE is. Big Grin
Candy Sue
with the deflector shield above the fire pot covered with foil, below the racks.

having run mine numerous times 30 to 40 hrs.before cleaning out "BUT ONLY BEFORE STARTING THE NEXT COOK" " EITHER NOT TO BURN MY FINGERS DIGGING OUT OR TO KEEP FROM BURNING UP THE VACUMNE"
with the pellets are dropping on top of the fire, the fan is blowing across to get a hotter fire,it may look like it building up BUT GIVE THE WOOD A CHANCE they will burn down.
yes do have a little ash, and pellets come out on to the very bottom.

Trust.

Have learned to listen for the pellets rattling down the metal ramp, And keep an occational eye on the tempature gauge digital read out.

earl

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.