Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I guess I should explain the trailer. Its 30 ft nose to tail. I have a tankless water heater, commercial refrigerator 20 cu ft, stainless sinks w hand wash sink, 14 ft of wall cabinets, a vending window, 15 ft awning w exterior halogen light to light under awning, 10 KW generator, 2 - 100 lb propane tanks to power a 4 burner stove, water heater, and generator, insulated, roof A/C, Commercioal hood over the stove, 2 SS prep tables, 8 ft ceiling, a full bath in V nose w toilet, shower and lavatory, walk on roof, and the FEC500 is accessible thru wall to the inside of trailer.
Mike
Nice outfit. Who built it for you guys? With all the cooking equipment inside I would be curious how well your AC does in hot weather. Ours struggles and I have my fryer on the back of the trailer and no exhaust hood inside. I only have 30 gallons of water storage which works for a one day event but it takes all of it.

Do you have a menu made up yet? My advise, keep it as simple as possible.

We just purchased a 8.5x22 not quite a year ago and feel we made a good choice to go the portable route vs starting up in a restaurant. Although there are some inconveniences with wind, rain or snow, we can keep our prices down and are able to turn some huge volume due to our lower overhead cost involved with the trailer vs something permanent. And you can also go where the crowd is!

When you get it up and going, try and post a few more pics, especially of the inside.

We cook about 75# of brisket per day and around 40# of pork butts. With our tenderloins we feed around 225+ per day on average with just my wife and I when we set up. All I have is a FEC 100 but envy the extra smoker space. We could have booked a 5000 head feed last year right after we got started if we could have handled it. So don't be afraid to set big goals!

Check us out on Facebook. Bailey's BBQ Barn.
Thanks Smokin for the photo tip.
Mbailey, the trailer was bought at Custom Concessions in Chester VA. It was built in Middlebury IN. James Williams in Chester sells them and Show Hauler Trucks in IN builts them. They have the work force up there to build them. I saw more RV's than you can imagine when we went to get it.
I will be curious as to how the AC acts also but we were at FT Bragg thursday feeding the Troops and it got up to 80 deg and it was cooling it nicely. It is insulated. I have some pics of the inside I'll post. I have a commercial hood over the stove so it can get rid of heat quickly. We pan on a simple menu and are itchin to get going. Just trying to get all the details done. Thanks for the info on your rigs and business.
Mike
I talked to James today and he talked about a Trailer headed to NC with a restroom in the nose. That thing looks great! Sounds like he really builds them good. What kinda planned menu would you run out of that, or would you just use it for comps/catering?

My goal is to get one after I retire, as a mobile kitchen, with a commisary on my own land. I'm thinking about a 750 though, James thinks it'd fit fine.
Is that James Williams from Custom Concessions? We will use that for Competitions and catering and vending for bigger events. I cooked for 600 troops last Thursday and smoked 32 butts and 13 briskets with no problem. We will have a simple menu of BBQ and 5-6 sides. So far we really like the trailer and it turns heads where ever we go. Good luck with the Commissary and trailer. Take the plunge and do it.
Thanks,
Mike
Yes, that was the same guy. I'm Not quite smart enough to do the math yet, but is a rig like this worth it if it is your only kitchen for catering and some event vending? Also, that's a 500, right? Could you have put a 750 on it? I'd love to see the inside if you have any pics. I've checked with the county health dept where I've bought my retirement place in Oklahoma and they said I could use it as a kitchen and just have a metal building as my commissary. I have 28 acres so that should not be an issue. I'm thinking part time catering and filling in the holes with jerky, bacon and whatever else I can sell within regulations.
Sorry for not posting but I have been busy trying to get this going. I imagine a 750 would fit but I am also going to put a 10 KW generator on the porch beside the 500. If you do that, a 750 might be too big. I also have 2 - 100# propane tanks on the otherside of the 500 so space side to side was tight. If you have the truck to pull it you could go longer and put the generator on the rear. I'll post some inside pics soon.
Thanks,
Mike
Thanks BBQ Jax and Big Pappa. Just did a cater for the Carolina Hurricanes hockey group and have a few to look forward to in the book. Lots of inquiries. The 500 is giving me great flavor and moisture. Getting a higher yield on the butts too. So far I am very pleased. I did 2 turkeys 3 racks of ribs and 2 butts for the weekend. ( I know it hardly put a dent in the capacity ) It all turned out very good.All that partgook were pleased.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.