Skip to main content

Hi,

I'll be calling Cookshack tomorrow, but wonder how you can tell if your controller is failing?
I've cooked in 2 contests recently, the same way as always (and previously with no problems) and by 7 am, my meats are about 20-30 degrees off of where they normally are at the same time. For instance, at 8pm Friday I put a 10 pound brisket in at 180 until 5 am, then to 230 til 7am, then to 250 for holding. At 10:00am the brisket flat was still at 155! Normally, I would be wrapping
at 165 around 8:30. There was no wind and it was 97 degrees out. What do you think and is if I have to pay to have the controller replaced, does anyone know the price. I heard this weekend that cookshack has been working feverishly the last 2 weeks on fixing some controller problems in the FE-100 stainless box - although I have the black controller box. Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have the same unit and have never experienced such a problem. Has anything else changed in your smoking procedure? Different pellets? Damp pellets? Is the auger feeding pellets in an unobstructed manner?

I'm not aware of CS having "feverish" problems with the SS box IQ4. Best bet is to call customer service Monday morning and see if they can offer a solution. Your FEC100 came with a 2 year warranty so I'm sure any defects will be addressed and corrected, should that be the case.
Just try to isolate the KNOWN variables. Test your probe before you test your smoker. Run the smoker and see if the temps are matching what the smoker is saying.

Something else to remember. The food isn't the same food every time. Weight, collagen makeup, cow/hog, etc. It can vary even with a spot on smoker.

Had a case where I did my briskets same time/temp as always and took over 4 hours extra. I verified the smoker was running at the temps I set.

IF you've verified the temps on the smoker (use a remote probe) and it's the same both times, or each time at that temp setting, then it's the food or humidity or something else. It's just not a recipe when you do BBQ.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Like Max says.I haven't heard anything at all about working on IQ4 problems,but CS service will be the one to take you quick thru the steps.

Yes they are working on issues with the IQ4. But they are not ready to release the update.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.