Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If one could be addapted. It seems you could pull out the top shelf, mount an assembly inside that would take a rotisserie skewer (like the setup that's on Viking grills- where the rod just sits on mounts on the inside and you can put the meat on the skewer and just drop it in the mounts- motor outside, of course).

As far as what to put on it, I think that every thing remains moister and self marinates on a rotisserie. I would use it for rib roasts, turkeys, tenderloins, leg of lamb and chickens. Obviously it would get more use when you aren't cooking for a ton of people.

I also think you would get a killer brisket if you were just doing one.

Also, there is at least on smoker out there that bases its philosophy on a rotisserie concept: the Genuswine http://genuswinebbq.com/ss.htm

I'm just thinking outside of the box (about the inside of the box) and the FEC100 is such a fine piece of equipment that it has aroused my long dormit Industrial Design instincts (KU, '71)

I also have some ideas on a fire mitigation addition that I will make a prototype of and get a picture up so I can get feedback on its viability.
There's a good reason that the FEC100 doesn't have a rotisserie in it. It would get the same bad rap that the Genuswine does. Nothing fits on the shelves and the meats move when they shrink causing those tiny shelves to dump things. The fire management system may not be perfect but I will say with the IQ4 it will be hard to get it any better!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on your projects.
The Genuswine is not the best example of what I was suggesting as, on second look, that unit really seems to be a carousel. A carousel doesn't accomplish the self marinating and bastiing potential I had in mind.

I was thinking of a true rotisserie with a removable internal spit that could be used at the top of the FEC100 and would require only the top grill rack to be removed if (and only if) the rotisserie was in use.

I have cooked briskets in a number of different ways experimentally to see if you could take some hours out of the equation- without any real success.

One experiement that was interesting, though, was putting a small (under ten pound) packer cut on my gas grill rotisserie and cooking at the lowest temperature my radiant burner could be set at.

Results: After about eight hours it was very flavorful (great outer crust- more of a grill flavor), moist and tough. Needed more hours, but the radiant heater would have cremated it.

Anyway, not trying to ruffle any feathers by making FEC100/genuswine comparisons, just meant to illustrate (poorly) a concept.

Consider the horse beaten to death.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.