Skip to main content

Going through the posts here, I've come to the conclusion that, in order to get a good smoke flavor you must smoke at 180 for several hours, then crank the heat up to finish it off.

If that is correct ... then, what about people who don't have the extra time to spend on those longer cooks? I'm thinking of the Catering/Restaurant owners.

Or am I missing something here?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm a virtual newbie, but I usually try to have it on smoke for at least an hour and a half to two hours. From then on, it depends on what I'm smoking as to how high a kick up the temp.

Brisket and butts, I try to go low and slow all the way (225), ribs a little higher (250-275). Chicken absords smoke well, so I usually go up to around 350-375 to get it done while keeping the it moist and set the skin.

Once you kick up the temp you'll still pick up some smoke flavor unless your temps are really high. Also, I've heard Smokin say that once the meat temp passes 140, it's generally believed that it will not absorb any more smoke.

By the way, I have two 100s, and they're the smartest bbq/smoking purchase I've ever made. Just wish I could afford the IQ upgrade or one of the big boys.

Maybe someday
DasPit,

I really don't know were your getting the info, but I think you've got it wrong. I had astick burner, and then I got a 500 and then added a 100. And I feel that I have every bit as much smoke flavor as with the stick burner. And I never cook at the temps as low as your talking about 225 or so.

I attended a cooking class this weekend put on by Pellet Envy and Smokin Triggers. And I can say that Rod Gray didn't have any problem turning out some of the best Q in the Country on a 100. If your serious about cooking, you won't go wrong with a FEC100.
When I cook a load of butts on my FEC 100, I always start at Smoke for two hours, then 180 for another two hours and then 240 for the remainder of the time. And I get plenty of smoke on the pork.

For briskets, I will start smoke and stay there for four to five hours. Then go to 240 to finish.

Ribs, I always cook those at either 240 or 275 depending on the size of the racks. And for how I like my ribs, it has enough smoke even at these temps.

And chicken, I cook hotter because I like crispy skin.

An FEC 100 will not give as much smoke as a full size log burner. But you learn how to cook with whatever you have. And I will take my FEC anyday.
my theory about smoke.

"it depends".

From personal experience helping a LOT of stick burners, most of them are used to over-smoked products. Just watch them and their smokers and you see an inperfect burn and lots of dirty smoke, not the clean blue kind.

Until you taste it, you won't know. Try to find someone and see what you think. Maybe at a contest.

Smokin'
When I first got my FEC, I thought there wasn't enough smoke, but I liked the taste of the product. After cooking on it for awhile, I went to my favorite Texas style bbq joint. I could taste a lot more smoke than I did before getting my FEC. I also burped up smoke and creosote all afternoon. I tried a year later, but the same thing happened. I first ate que cooked on a stick burner and got use to the strong taste of the wood. Now, I know there is a different taste of meat cooked over a clean burning fire. (Pellets) I like the pellet cooker taste much more than a stick burner.
Also along the same lines as [ Fast Freddies.]
And also have gone to so called bbq that they only have the bbq sauce and No Smoke Flavor.

So i wouldn't say over smoked [as SmokinOkie],
nor under smoked , Rather when you get a product from the F E C'S. OR Cookshack at a very economical and a consistantansy .

So a person can capatolize on a customer base that enjoys the amount of smoke the fec puts out.

And i have constructed and cooked stick burners.
WORK ! WORK ! WORK !

With the 100 , FUN FUN FUN ,A JOY ,AND THERE IS A CONSISTANCTY IN THE PRODUCT . Not the roller coaster flavor as a stick burner.

"AINT NO GETEN RID THE 100" UNLESS COOKSHACK WAS TO IMPROVE ON IT. AND THEY ARE VERY CAPABLE OF DOIN THAT. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.