Skip to main content

Hi all,

I saw the new smokers and decided to upgrade. Sold my 008 and placed an order for a SM020. After 3 weeks it arrived today. I opened it up right away and just my luck... The bottom rack is bent and the heating element has been significantly bent to the right side.

This was a real disappointment. I was so looking forward to the new smoker. Cookshack said to file a claim with UPS. UPS will come by tomorrow to pickup the smoker so they can evaluate the damage. UPS will then contact Cookshack within 24 hours of their evaluation. This means I have to wait a few days and call Cookshack to find out what will happen.

It was apparent that the box had been roughed up along the way. However I think this damage could have been avoided with some extra padding. Placing pieces of foam on either side of the wood box might have prevented the box from bending the bracket and the element. Currently there is one tie-wrap that holds the wood box to the bracket. This isn’t enough to hold the wood box in place. Also placing some foam between the grill and the top of the wood box might also have prevented the rack from bending. I recommended this to Bill at Cookshack. Hopefully Cookshack can improve shipping so that nobody else has to go through the same issue.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0747
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Those are suggestions that they would like to hear at the plant,as they do not monitor these forums.

That said,I have had cookers come in 4 x4 frames,that have tumbled the length of an empty 40 ft box truck.

The frames get torn apart.

I've seen heavy iron cookers shipped from Tx banged up the same way.

Not sure why drivers hate cookers,but they seem to. Confused
I know it's not perfect, but it looks like a simple bend and fix to me.

I might be missing a lot from the pic though. I was just thinking that I'd rather try to get the element bent back and possibly the rack(if not send the rack back). That way I get my smoker now instead of waiting much longer.

With that said I absolutely understand wanting what you paid for to be as close to perfect as possible. So, whatever you do is cool beans to me. Smiler
Here's the update... We thought the damage was a little extensive to fix it ourselves. UPS came and picked up the Smokette. Finally received a new smoker on 02/23. The box arrived in the same condition as the first one. Opened it up and the unit was in much better shape than the fist one. The heating element was a little off. During the seasoning the wood didn't burn. Adjusted the element so that it was more even and the wood started to burn.

Used a 9lbs picnic to season the Smokette. Smoked the picnic for 12 hours to 190 F using cherry wood. We used Cookshack chicken and rib rubs. Picnic came out tasty...

Cheers.
quote:
Originally posted by biere.froide:
... The box arrived in the same condition as the first one.
Cheers.

Your driver was just a fan of the Seattle BB team. Ever since they moved to OK, anything shipped out of OK just seems to arrive with more damage.

Big Grin

Make sure to let CS know about the problem.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.