Skip to main content

Hello, everyone! I've been searching through these forums for a couple of months now, but this is my first post. After doing much research on smokers I've finally settled on a Cookshack. Now it's a matter of which one! This will be my first smoker so I'll be doing a lot of learning on it. I'm leaning toward the SM025 but noticed one of the online stores has an SM040 at a good price and free shipping. However, I'm not sure I need that much cooking space, but that space might be nice to have just in case. The digital meat probe on the SM025 is nice feature but not a necessity for me since I have a Maverick remote. I did look at the Amerique but it's out of my budget range (not off my future want list, however).

I'm certainly not asking anyone to make the decision for me but I would love to hear about experiences from those who have an SM025 or SM040. I'm mainly going to be cooking for my wife and I, and maybe 3-4 friends. Occasionally I see myself cooking for 20 people tops. So, a few questions now (and maybe more later if I think of more)...

Will the SM025 cook enough for 20 people?
How much meat have you smoked in a SM025 or SM040 at once and what did you smoke?
Those with a SM025, do you regret not going bigger?
Those with a SM040, are you glad you went bigger?
I currently live in a townhome and have a back concrete patio (not fenced in) and garage but we plan to move soon. Would the SM040 be too big for a townhome?
Has anyone ever smoked in their garage and did it pose any problems?
I've noticed through reading the forums that not many own the SM040 or SM045. Why?

Anything else anyone wants to add is great. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a smo25 and completely enjoy it. I have not cooked for 20 people but I imagine that you could easily feed that many with a 025 especially if you kept some in the cooler staying warm. Really a choice you will have to make, BTW mine is in the garage but I do have front and back garage doors and a couple of windows. I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem.
Congrats on the hard part! That's making your mind up on which brand and what kind of smoker you wanted. From experience, I can tell you that can be a painful, confussing process. I just gotta say it will be better than you can imagine,REALLY.

This spring CS did away with the 020,040 and raised the price on the 025. before doing this it was quite a bargain by buying the 020,025 as compared to getting the 040,045. It seems that the new prices have gotten the 045 more in line.

Yes, I'm with you on the 020 and 040 being a bargain if you can still find some. I wouldn't be afraid of them being out dated or problem childs,IMO!

I have one of those cs020 and they will feed a small crowd, like your wanting to do...BUT your crowds will grow when people taste the Que that you learn to cook.

It is a hard choice that you have to make.
Thanks for all the replies so far. It's a difficult choice indeed, but the process has been a fun learning experience.

Has anyone with the SM025 purchased the Cookshack rib rack? I was looking at their website and it looks like it can hold 7 racks of ribs. Will the rack fit on the bottom shelf? If so it seems you could also place 2 butts on the upper shelf at the same time easily. If so, you could potentially feed 20 people. Anyone tried this?
Don't think there is room for PBs if the rib rack is in. You sure have soom fine questions, you know, you could call CS and talk to customer service, they are the BEST. All of them cook on a CS and can answer ALL questions.Just a thought!

Good luck!

Hey I have a little experience, but not bragging, with this forums help, I can feed 60 folks out of my 020 and NOT have to warm anything up. Like I said a little practice and this forums help.
quote:
Originally posted by RockySmoke:
Has anyone with the SM025 purchased the Cookshack rib rack? I was looking at their website and it looks like it can hold 7 racks of ribs. Will the rack fit on the bottom shelf? If so it seems you could also place 2 butts on the upper shelf at the same time easily. If so, you could potentially feed 20 people. Anyone tried this?

Depends on the ribs, it's a vertical space question. You'll also find that they cook quicker if they're on the bottom.

I'd still call them, I'm not sure on the spacing of that one with other racks too since I don't have that one.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.