Skip to main content

I am ready to purchase my first smoker and want some opinions on pro's and con's between an SM025 and one of the smaller Smokin Tex units. The price is a little less on the Smokin Tex and I can purchase one at my local outdoor store. The Cookshack model I have not seen in person and would have to drive out to Cabela's in Nebraska to pick up. Does anyone have experience with both? Is the extra investment for the Cookshack worth it?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum.If you go to the Charcoal store on the web they will have some good information, nonbias. There are members that cook on both so I'm sure they will chime in.

If you use the Find button in the top left corner it will give you some good reading material.

IMO, cookshack offers 30 day unconditional money back guarantee, what is there to lose?
I was where you are about 4 weeks ago. I decided to move up from the water propane cheapie smoker adn wanted something really simple to use. I looked at some reviews for both the Smokin Tex and the Bradleys -- not too inspiring. I ended up getting a Smokette Essential and am quite pleased. Availability of parts and overall quality is what sold me. Only problem with where I am is that no one carries Cookshack so I went through The Charcoal Store. It weighs about a hundred pounds so compare that to the Smokin Tex.
I'm kinda biased, so I'll tell you what I think. The ST is a chinese knock-off of the CS. Period. No original thought, they just copied it. They changed a few thing after receiving feedback, but the comparison on the link above will help you out.

Oh, and they don't have Cookshack's customer service. No one's is better.

FYI, I just moderate the forum, I'm not paid by CS, but I really dislike knock-offs. I think it's stealing from the people who came up with the idea. But that's just me Mad
Wow, that comparison tells the story! Thank you for putting it together as it really helped make up my mind. I am not a big fan of spending a large chunk of money on china crap and am fairly disappointed that my local outdoor store would carry such a product. I will be ordering a Cookshack soon Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by kbahus:
Wow, that comparison tells the story! Thank you for putting it together as it really helped make up my mind. I am not a big fan of spending a large chunk of money on china crap and am fairly disappointed that my local outdoor store would carry such a product. I will be ordering a Cookshack soon Smiler

I went through the same ST vs Cook Shack dilemma and after looking at both I went to Cook Shack and bought one direct. I have had no complaints.

Good luck.
Would you want a Lamborghini or a copy of a Lamborghini, made in China. Hmmm? Who needs to sleep on that one? Anyone thinking of getting a ST should see that comparison. I read the same comparison when I first saw ST. That is why I own a Cookshack now. Quality will always save you money and time in the long run. I think, we all can agree that China really doesn't need anymore of our money.
Just saying.
Last edited by crazysmokinlarry
Nice job Uncsmoker. I forgot about the google cache link. Those should be copied and posted here so people can refer to them. I am not trying to bash a Chinese copy. I don't need to. All I am saying is that, I almost bought a ST before I read those articles. Its one thing to say one is better than another, but to see it is another. Hmmmm? I guess, just the fact that it is made in China is enough.
quote:
Originally posted by ktskas:
I just placed an order for an AmeriQue from Charcoal Store on Friday! I spoke with David (i think) and he stated that the reason they started to sell the SmokinTex is that the new versions were much better than the old ones that they did the comparison on.

Yeah. Ummm. I am not buying it. It is nothing more than the mighty dollar. I can't blame the guy, but I can say go with Cookshack.
i just ordered a SMO20 - got one just before they stopped offering them. i was actually planning to get it from the charcoal store as they are only an hour or so from where i live. however, i ended up ordering direct from cookshack - they have been great to deal with so far and i'm glad i ordered direct from them!! it seems that this change at charcoal store is a bit of a 'sell out' given how strongly they argued against the ST in their previous reviews. unfortunately for them, it cost them my business.
smokinMN,

Ordering that cs020 was quite a BARGIN. I have one and I wouldn't trade it for anyother electric smoker.

Now ordering it direct will be nothing but a pleasure. If you have a problem just give them a call direct. If you need a little guidence on the cooking part, just ask, it will be our pleasure to help you.

Just have some FUN.
I looked at both the CS and Smokin Tex units in person. I went back and forth and looked at each about 5 different times and did a lot of research online. I decided to buy a Cookshack Amerique. Ive had it about 6 months and it is well worth the extra money. There is definitely a difference in quality. CS support and customer service is second to none. If you buy a CS you'll never regret it. Keep us posted with your choice.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.