Skip to main content

Anyone on a SM150 and how does it compare to a 008?

I still haven't bought a real smoker yet, and the 008 seems on the small side.

I was wondering if the SM150 can be used to somke just a couple of butts, or if you need more food to make it work.

Also do you need more wood per smoke, even if you were only doing a couple of butts.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for clarifying.

I think it comes down to what you're wanting to cook. They both work well on small amounts. I've done plenty of small load in the 150.

If it was me, and I know it's a first, but I'd consider buying the FEC instead of the 150. Reason? I variability of the temp.

I've got a 150 and I've got a FEC and it's hard to explain, but I think capacity and the pellet heat gives a lot of variation.

Now, saying that, I'm not giving up my 150, it's great also.

hard choice.
sandraven,
ok. here's my 2 cents.
and oh my goodness it's a 1st for me to just like smokinokie lol.
the sm150 does great on small loads just like the fec (we own both).
as my wife has been teaching me as she gets more familiar with her sm150 the manual settings are really versitile but the thing she loves is when the food is cooked it goes over to hold temp automatically and i am going to hammer our inspector on that one come the 24th lol. the only thing it doesnt do well is crisp chicken skin but peg figured a way around that by cooking at max and then holding around 165f.
so (smokinokie here it comes and i can't believe i am saying this!!!) if i was starting out and not doing comps at all i would go the sm150 route and learn it 1st. even tho i kinda looked down my nose at it the more peg has used it the more respect i have for it.
but do this
call john shifflet
he saved us so much money over my 1st and 2nd choice that we could afford both the sm150 and a fec100 Big Grin
jack
yep me too smokinokie!!!!
and since you know how much i love my fec my response even shocked me!!!!!!!!
but the hold setting on the 150 sure is a nice feature and it can be used to render the fat from chicken so the skin crisps up. but i for sure would get the 150 over the 008 especially if i could get the other guy to pay lol
jack
ps. just so no one thinks i went soft i showed peg how to make smoke bombs for her sm outta pellets for the fec lol Razzer
sandraven,
I've been experimenting with the SM150 and it does small amounts extremely well. I've cooked a salmon filet completely by itself once in it and it turned out fantastic. I've also done chicken wings (only 1 rack) and they were excellent. I wasn't going for crisp skin on them, but the skin wasn't tough or rubbery either. I've tried using the pellet bomb. It works good if you just want a blast of smoke, but using the chunk of wood is my preference so far. If your employer is buying this for you to use, you better watch out! That benefit won't be around for long, I bet.
Peggy
Peg, just a couple of thoughts here.

1. I didn't get the impression that SandRaven's comapny would buy the smoker just for him to use. It was my understanding that he was saying his company would buy it, presumabbly for thier own use, and he could use it when he wanted.

2. Possibly SandRaven owns the company, is just being modest, and is actually buying it through the company for hs own use. Smart move.

EZ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.