Skip to main content

Howdy all,

I am considering the purchase of an SM360 to upgrade my jerky production. I currently use a vertical charcoal/wood smoker that does not have the capacity I need. I'm not so much interested in debating the virtues of electric vs pellet vs wood, but rather would like to hear from anyone with experience making jerky on the SM360. How consistent are the internal temps across the cooking area? Must shelves be rearranged mid cook? I know that many people make jerky on the smaller CS models, but I am interested in knowing how the larger ones hold up in this regard. People with SM260 experience might also weigh in here Wink

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions. Regards,

David
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

After reading your post, I guess I addressed some of the topics you didn't want to hear, but I'll leave it and apologize. If you live that far south, I'd imagine pellets are a little har to come by. For what it is worth, my AQ 66 was Very consistant in temps.

If I had a choice, I'd get two or three FEC 100s for jerky. Better yet, when they come out, the FEC 120s with the convection. The FECs are dryer inside then the electric smokers. Keep in mind that I'm only Speaking from the Amerique 66 perspective, as I used to own one. I made jerky on it. If I used an ounce of wood, it was over smoked for me. No wood was better, but it sure took a long time. Please don’t think I’m critical, I’ve seen others turn out some pretty good looking jerky on the electrics, but I never could.
On the FEC, I can do Five to Seven pounds of Raw product start to finish in four to five hours and it is perfect every time. Nothing like that real wood fire blowing the nitrates thru your meat. Just my opinion. I could imagine how much I could make on a 750 and how much faster it would go.

I think if I ever start a jerky business, it'll be with the FEC 120s and just buildup to my need one by one, purchase multiple racks and keep it rolling day and night. I'm 'unloading' 6-10 pounds of finished jerky a week as fast as I can turn it out. Never had much of a demand for my Electric smoker jerky, but the FEC Jerky is incredible. There are some pics at this link that Smokin helped me upload. http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1013824/m/3042965707
Thanks for the thoughtful response, CB. Unfortunately in my case, the FEC100 is far too small. I would have to consider the FEC500 in order to produce similar volume to the SM360, but the 500 is out of my price range. Getting pellets down here is also an issue. Among the CS smokers, the 360 is the most attractive option in terms of volume and price, but you have somewhat confirmed my fears as to whether or not it will produce the quality of jerky I'm hoping for. I may have to consider other non CS options Frowner

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.