Skip to main content

Been doing alot of winter cooking of briskets/butts and recently noticed that a good amont of smoke has been coming out of hopper and there is also condensation building up on the underside of the lid. The outside temps have been dipping down near 0degres at night and i been cooking around 250 all night. I have looked down exhaust tubes and both have a little flake buildup but no obstructions. Has anyone else encountered this when cooking at low outside temps or might there be another issue
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just had this happen to me on my five year old FEC-100 today.  The other day I saw smoke coming out of the hopper, but it quit as the temperature got up to the 250 mark so I didn't think much about it.  Today I did a 4.5 hour rib cook, forgot to turn it off so it went into hold mode for a little over three hours.  When I remembered to turn it off I opened the hopper to see what was left of my pellets and there was quite a bit of water condensation on both the inside top lid, and sides of my hopper.  Also more ash than normal inside the cooker.

We've had a ton of rain recently, but my FEC-100 lives under a covered patio with the cover on most of the time.  No condensation in my hopper before the cook.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.