Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by WayneB:
...If you want more smoker flavor you could use an, "Amazing Tube".

Wayne B

Maybe it's me, but buying outside items isn't THE solution to smoke flavor.

There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle and I think looking to a new solution is part but not the answer alone.

New smoker means getting to know it's strengths and weaknesses. The 120 cooks differently in terms of method, than the 100.

pellets? What brand of pellets and what flavor (100%, blended, etc)

Method. Two stage? Low temp? High temp.

New question. Are you thinking because of the results that it's smoke related? Did the judges specifically say "lack of smoke?"

The FE wins a LOT on the circuit, so it works.

I'd spend a lot of time, there are a BUNCH of contest related threads in the FE contest forum that will help you.

And ask away, we're all here to help.
Thanks Smokin!
We're used to using a Traeger, and I know the concept is the same, but the technique is vastly different. We just need to learn...

It's possible our pellets aren't "up to snuff", as we're using a new brand we're not entirely happy with. There were no comments from the judges, just our own observations.

I've seen some posts here about "two stage" cooking. Please explain. I've never heard of that, and the posts don't get specific.

We're relatively new to competing, only doing about 6 or 7 contests over several years. (Scheduling seems to be a problem... Razzer)

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Kristi
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi:
I've seen some posts here about "two stage" cooking. Please explain. I've never heard of that, and the posts don't get specific.

Not a problem, we can talk specifics of two staging. Some cooks believe that meat will take on smoke for a period of time then the pores of the meat swell up and doesn't allow the meat to take in more smoke, only lay it on the outside. So, me being a lazy comp cook will start my meat the night before at around 170-180* and put a duration time in of around 6-8hrs and then set the hold temp to a temp of around 250*. Now, while I'm laying in the air conditioned trailer getting some sleep, the smoker will during the night run out of the cook time and on it's own start holding(cooking) at 250*, SWEET!

The lower temp, will allow for more time for the meat to take on smoke and also for this lazy cook not to have to start my meat in the middle of the night.

I also believe it does something to help build better bark, but that's just a theory of my own.

Hope this helps a little.

Oh, I only worry about two staging my big cuts of meat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.