Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Gotcha. I have a ramp model. I spoke with Tony on Friday and he suggested that I start the smoker on "smoke" since it has a limited time when it puts pellets into the firebox. I also saw a suggestion that instead of using the ignitor, that I could put a little gel start up in the firebox along with some pellets and let it burn for five minutes and then turn on the smoker. I will give it a test run this week and see how it goes. I was concerned because I have a competition this wekend and didn't want any malfunctions happening at the contest. I appreciate all the comments and ideas--keep em coming.
You don't have to use Gel. Just take a small handful of pellets and drop them down by the igniter. The issue is "delay". The igniter needs enough pellets to light, putting the handful in solves that problem. The old method was turn it on for 5 min. Turn it off and then back on (this resets the igniter).
would you turn it on by setting it on smoke? In the past I have done the handful of pellets and by the time the fire started going, the firebox was full of pellets and that caused the excessive heat. Tony said that putting it on smoke to start would limit the number of pellets dropping into the firebox thus eliminating the buildup of pellets.
Yes, start it on Smoke. Tony is correct that by starting it on Smoke, there are fewer pellets being dropped than if you set it at say 225. And it does not need to be a big handfull of pellets that you drop in the pot. Just a small handful should be plenty. Sometime when you are vacuuming out the firepot and the unit is cold, reach down in the pot and feel where the ignitor is. This is where you want the small handful of pellets to go when you drop them in.

Keep in mind that on the IQ4 there is a 3-4 minute lag from turning the unit on to when the ignitor lights up to start the pellets.
Thanks John and Okie for the great advice and quick comments. I will let ya'll know how it goes this weekend at the cook-off. By the way John, I was just in your neck of the woods earlier this month. We drive to Florida every summer for vacation and I have family in St. Pete. Thanks again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.