Skip to main content

I got my Fast Eddy in early April this year and it worked flawlessly -- at first. At our 1st competition, it worked great on Day 1 for the special rib cookoff. On Day 2 for the KCBS competition, we didn't even get the meat on. The unit shut down while it was still reaching temperature. Turns out, although I didn't know it at the time, that the high temp cutoff had tripped. Personally, I have found the documentation that came with the unit severely lacking. We had to drop out before we even got cooking and it wasn't until I got home and contacted my sales rep that the problem was easily diagnosed. I have noticed that the unit frequently overshoots the target temp by as much as 50 degrees! It can take a long time to cool down. I have had to "trick" the unit by setting the unit far below my desired target temp and gradually ramping up to where I want it to be. At competition 2 we had 2 more high temp cutoffs but were able to get things reset. I was using my dual probe maverick and even though the temp on the FEC was set at 300 degrees I was watching the maverick steadily climb to almost 400. I do not why I am having such dramatic temp variations. It really adversely affects the finished product. The main reason I went for the Fast Eddy was for the thermostatic control believing that more consistent temperature would lead to better and more consistant results. I'm frustrated. HELP!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I run an FEC 100 for my rest. I have found that the temp reset trips if I load too heavy of a load; can't run with it "full." I suspect the lack of air circulation keeps the bottom hot and flaming while the higher temp probe still reads low, telling the auger to keep pumping the pellets. Vicious cycle. As to temp swing, I set my unit on the smoke setting (older traeger controller which I love) which runs aroung 150 - 180 deg, after it cools down. It first ran up to 230 before it settled down. Not sure why, but at least I can now pretty much predict it. If it runs up much higher, I open the box.
hog,

It's your first post, but you should have come here sooner.

Temp overswings are a function of HOW it comes up to temp.

From a cold start, it's dumping pellets to get to temp. When you set a higher temp, let's say 300 and higher, it's really dumping pellets.

Two solutions.

One, set the temp for 250 and when it reaches 250 then up the temp.

Two, set the high temp; 300, 325 whatever BUT... watch it as it approaches 300. It WILL overshoot, it's just how it works because it's trying to ramp up to speed fast.

Open the door and dump the heat some as it's at 300 and it will slow down the overshoot.

It's all about how it's trying to get up to the high temp so quick that it WILL overshoot. There's just no way to "slow down" the burn with wood trying to get to high temps that fast.
quote:
Originally posted by headhog:
... Personally, I have found the documentation that came with the unit severely lacking. We had to drop out before we even got cooking and it wasn't until I got home and contacted my sales rep that the problem was easily diagnosed.

Please call CS direct and tell them that. I've seen this mentioned before and they really need the owners to call in and tell them.

The forum is better than any manual, I know they think that, but the manual still needs to reflect what you need as a new owner.
quote:
Originally posted by JC123:
even the manual that they send out with the smoker dont match up with the manual on the cookshack site

what the heck ?

Thanks to everyone for their input on all things FEC! I am a new owner and would have been frustrated by now if it weren't for you guys and this forum. My first three times out were huge succeses. Last night I put a 10# brisket on at midnight. Sometime during the night the limit switch tripped. What a bummer to discover that this morning. I'm back up now but finished off the brisket in the oven.
I want more info from CS on this unit. I can't even find the fuse others have written about. I want to get a spare just in case. Thanks again!!!
quote:
Good job JC. I searched for 15 minutes and couldn't find that link.

thank you kindly pags i wish i could take credit for finding it but i seen it somewhere before and my son put it in the favorite pile for me so i would not have to look around for it

i knew that that guys photo would come in handy some day

now i need a shear pin photo

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.