Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the CS forum.

I've never had the pleasure of doing a mak, are they not insulated? I guess where I live it is a necessary if you wantta cook in the winter.

I don't own the AmeriQ, but have had the pleasure of cooking on a smokette the last couple years. I did take the leap this spring and buy a FEC. Basically I did this with the thoughts of competing.Is this what you have in mind?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about the moist environment, but then again, the FEC can be considered a moist environment when taking about a stick burner.

The nice thing about a CS product is if you make a bad choice and want to change your mind in the 1st 30 days, they are more then willing to work with you. Just a bunch of nice folks in Ponca City, OK, USA.
how is a fec100 a step up for the AQ? don't understand that? i am thinking the AQ would be a completely different type of smoker compared the the fec100. doesn't the fec100 get its heat from fire and the AQ from a element? also and i am just guessing on this, wouldn't it be cheaper using the AQ. those 2 oz blocks of wood have to be cheaper than using pellets. i use pellets now and like using them. it can get expensive though.
Last edited by Former Member
Yeah, if I remember right, just under a dollar to cook a brisket all night in the smokette.

It will be a different cooking environment(moist), but you can learn ways of dealing with this situation. Like any smoker, you have to learn it's strengths/weakness and be a COOK!

You can almost over smoke a product with the electric smokers.
Having both an Amerique and a FEC100 at my disposal...aside from the obvious difference in cooking capacity and competition legality status...

The FEC produces a crustier bark (drier cooking environment)

The AQ's smoke profile is more pronounced and yes, wood chunks provide more bang for the buck, dollar wise.

The FEC's heat limit is 424...124o more than the AQ, which provides a bit more flexibility for chicken, Prime Rib, etc.

It really boils down to what your most prevalent needs are.
I have both and both do a GREAT job. However, I prefer the cooking profile of the FEC. I like that it will go to 424 (REALLY makes a difference with poultry!). And I use it to bake flat breads and pizza (albeit with a heavy soapstone slab). One area the AmeriQue excels is that it does VERY low temps (150-175)better particularly with a cold smoke plate. And the AmeriQue is more economical in that you only need a couple oz of wood. BUT, the FEC is very frugal with pellets when cooking in the 180-225 range due to the great insulation.

Oh, and I only use my smokers at home........
Spark,

I know you from another forum.

I have had both.

For my money the FEC is the clear winner.

That being said, its way more expensive to buy and operate.

You have read all the debate about the pellet cookers, and see each person has their own opinion.

I can say this without reserve, I wish I have never sold my fec100 and bought a memphis. I wish I had just bought a gas grill and kept the FEC.

I have now sold the memphis and going to a FEC1000. I simply cant afford to buy a fec100 and a decent gas grill so I compromised at this.

The other side of the coin is the sm020 or 25 is a lot less expensive, and you can use a maverick. It will cook more than enough for your home use. you can get as much smoke as you want on your food with those, and its still more or less set and forget.

I found they work well on butts and ribs etc, I found they dont do as well on fish or chicken (as compared to my fec).

Thats personal preference however.
good to hear from ya again. ya i am looking for a different smoker. i love my maks. always looking for another way to smoke stuff. i think the fec100 is more money than i have. i have been looking at the sm025 or the sm045 smokers. i like the idea of adding a piece of wood and setting the dial and walk away. how easy is that. i have cooked on a fe1000 for about 4 hours. we cooked alot of stuff in very little time. it doesn't use hardly any pellets also. i liked the 4 cook zones too.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.