Skip to main content

There's a question at the end of this, but I need to provide some background.

I normally use Brand Creek brand hickory and apple pellets in my FEC-100 for competitions. This last weekend, I was running low and needed pellets for a competition. Because of time and availability of my pellet provider, I was forced to use Traeger pellets.

The Branch Creek pellets I use are 100% Hickory and 100% apple. Not blends like the Traeger pellets. The Traeger hickory I used was from a stash at least six months old, so I have to assume it was blended with alder wood.

So here's what happened. At the 180 setting on my FEC-100 (Traeger Digital Controller), it ran 190-195 all night with the Traeger pellets. I typically run 170-175 for the first 8-10 hours, then to 180 on the nose.

The food had a bitter taste. There was a hair line smoke ring on my brisket which is typically very pronounced... 1/4 inch.

Has anyone had similar experiences with Traeger pellets in their FEC-100 or other FEC models: running hotter, bitter, no smoke ring?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have been having excelent results from the pellets from Fast Eddy.

I figured if a man has the cookers he has .

And he win's the compations he compets in.

Something has to be right.

And since I have been using has been a beautiful smoke rings I have ever had.

They are from southern missouri , and end up with very little ash. Big Grin
When I first picked up my pit that was used at Mandalay Bay, it came with several bags of Eddy's pellets. They smelled great, and worked great.
I also received four bags of Traeger pellets. I didn't like the smell from the Alder base, nor the flavor. I stick with Eddy's.
PLOWBOY'S BBQ.COM

I HAVE ALL THREE BRANDS, USE ALL THREE, & SELL ALL THREE BRANDS {BRANCH CREEK, TRAGER,& THE TYPE FAST EDDY'S} HAVE BEEN TO BRANCH CREEK MFG. SHOP YOU CAN GET A BLEND FROM BRANCH CREEK ALONG WITH 100%.
AS A MATER A FACT I TALKED TO WELDON TODAY AM TO PICK UP SOME MESQUETE FROM BRANCH CREEK PLANT AT NEWTON, KS THIS WEEKEND.
IN THE FEC 100 MY 1st CHOICE IS EDDY'S CHOICE.

IN THE FEC 750 TRAGER & EDDY'S ARE A TIE ON FLAVOR BUT A BETTER SMOKE RING WITH EDDY'S.

SO A LOT OF IT COMES DOWN TO KEEP NOTES ON THE TYPE OF MEAT,SEASONINGS,AND WOOD USED TOGETHER.

THANK EVERY BODY FOR THIER METHODS BECAUSE I LOVE TO EXPERAMENT AND TRY DIFFERANT RECIPES TO KEEP MY AND OTHERS TASTE BUDS ALIVE.

EARL
I cooked with Jeff Brinker this weekend on his FEC 500. What a sweet cooker! He used Eddy's hickory pellets. I was very happy with the product. The taste was right on with no bitter taste. Smoke ring looked right one. For the overall product, it seemed on par with my FEC-100 and branch creek pellets. As for ash build up, I'll have to compare that using Eddy's pellets in my pit.

It was amazing to me how my times and internal temps were completely in step on the 500 with my process on the FEC-100. Amazing machines.
Well, as advertised, Eddy's pellets smoke like crazy and produce very, very little ash compared to Branch Creek. The difference is noticeable. I need to cook with my Branch Creek pellets again just to compare the final product. I just have it in my mind that I like the BC pellets, but I need to cook with them again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.