Skip to main content

West coast guys help. I asked my meat wholesaler if they had tri-tip, answer was, sure. Now you must understand i've been looking for them for 2 years to no avail. So I bought a case not knowing that a case was 70#. I'm home know bagging and sealing aprox 30 tri-tips, for the freezer. Now the dumb part...I don't know how o cook a tri-tip. Any help please. Have fec100,Hasty Bake, Gas grill, and others. Thanks.
Bill
PS. If you need tri-tip I've got plenty for all.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We do them two ways. Cook like a flank steak, nice rare or medium rare in the middle. Usually use combination of direct and in-direct with coals. Use whatever you like on a steak for rub and marinade if you wish. Nice with just salt and pepper. Slice them like a flank after resting a proper amount. Usually I take mine off about 122-125 internal temp.

Second way we do them is when we are doing tailgaters and such. I put them in the smoker along with the ribs and slow smoke then for three or four hours. Of course they are well done but sliced thinly everybody loves these as well. I like to use Montreal Steak seasoning or Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on them for a little additional flavor.

With the FE you could cook them at higher temp and kind of treat them as a poor mans prime rib, watch your internals and get them off around 125 or so. I would run the smoke setting for 30-40 minutes and then turn up the heat.

After writing all this I am in the mood for some tri-tip. Ryan has taken my FE to the other side of the earth so will have to use my Kamado #9 instead.
Bill:

I can finally give someone an answer, instead of always asking questions. They are typically grilled with a rub. A normal 2 1/2 - 3 pounder takes about 35 minutes. Never have smoked one but it probably would be great. There is a town in Central CA called Santa Maria, where during the summer folks with large log burners are in just about every grocery parking lot on the main drag cooking and selling them.

You might take a look in google or in another forum under "Santa Maria Barbeque".

Good luck,

Fred
Bill,

I do tri-tips on a weber kettle over direct for brown and then move to indirect for cook and usually allow for 20 to 30 minutes maximum for cooking. Take off at 120 to 130, let rest for 10 minutes and then slice. Have won several anything butt with this. Use Montreal Steak seasoning only. You will like. They make an excellen steak salad or great for a dinner party and presentation. By the way 120 to 130 with 10 minute rest translates to medium. Smoking, treat like a brisket and they are tough unless sliced thin with smoking but are sucullent if cooked like a London broil. Slice from the pointy end backward.

Mack
AGGIEny & exTEXASy Cooking Team (ex from the Seattle Area)
Maudee's Cafe & Tea Room, Dallas, TX (new just bought the tea room)
Bill are you wanting directions in an FE or just in General.

You can do them as you would any steak in the FE, at a higher temp (I know you're the kind of Higher Temps with your Chicken method) and I like some of the Montrel/Canadian steak seasoning.

Let us know which way. You have so many you can certainly experiment.
I think I've got it on the grill. I need to do it on the fec100. Should I jsst crank it up to 425 and cook on the bottom? The reason I'm asking is the fe is loaded in the trailer, ready for Lebanon, and I can't get to it. Would like to feed some folks on Fri. night. Stop on by forum members.
Bill
I do them at 275�in the FE, takes about 90 minutes. I cook them to 140�, then let rest for an hour or so in the Cambro. It's cooked through that way, no blood, no red. Rub with something good, cook, slice thinly (preferably with a meat slicer) across the grain. If they have the fat on, leave some on, it tastes good and smells good while cooking. If there's too much after cooking, you can cut if off then. They even get a little smoke ring.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.