Skip to main content

Does anyone have any experience with baking buns or flatbread with the FEC line? It would appear that the unit has the higher temp. to do so. I would like to offer a fresh bun for sands.
Would need to bake approx. 200/day. It would be nice to have everything come out at the same time. Has anyone used wooden skewers in the FEC line. If the wooden sticks hold up without looking to unappetizing I would like to use them to market a homemade sausage on a stick. Was thinking about soaking them in water first. You all are great you know....except i thought Smokie would be better looking......
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've done pizza and other doughs in an FE. The biggest issue you'll have is flavor. You can certainly get it to the temp you want.

But you WILL be putting smoke flavor on/in the buns because it's a smoker. It will be reduced because you're doing it at a higher temp, but it will pick up the flavor.
Thanks Smokie.....
Hows the dough taste??? Is it smokier than what you get in a brick ital. oven. My prob is that i can be hours away from any market and bread can be old before I get my hands on it especially if they try to keep it cold. Pre orders are fine but can get complicated when chasing fires. I'm really struggling to come up with something that I can do that's fresh and will complement the "Q". A little smoke might be ok-not sure since I don't have my pit yet. There only so much room in my little mobile kitchen. More equipment means more room and more money-I don't really want spend another 2-3k just to bake bread. I'm hopeful anyway that I can figure something out. Thats one thing that I plan to experiment with quite a bit. Thanks again.......Maybe I need to run a contest with a money prize for the best bread recipe cooked on a FEC-Its a thought anyway and might save me a bunch of time.....
I know this all sounds a little crazy but....I do have an excuse-Its still big time winter here and Im getting a little anxious for warmer weather and some serious Q'ing.....What if.....you used p/stones with a lip covered with somesort of glass lid (?) to keep the smoke to a minimum. Might be some economics to that....Just a thought IMHO.
FF-
That's really good to hear and I love cherry pie. I wish you could send that in the mail..I'd trade-maybe salmon or something that you don't have. How about snow? A friend kept his boat in Isleton-fished a lot right acorss from Rio Vista. Isleton can be a fun place... Thanks for the input and how's that 300(?)holding up?
I sold my 500. I miss it! I still have my 100 and would never part with it. Isleton is great. I live right across the street from the Sacramento river.
I moved from the snow in New York in 1980. I like to be drinking a cocktail flying over it. My wife is a Coonass from the Bayou's of South Louisiana.
I took her to Tahoe right after a large snowfall. It was her first time in the snow, and she was like a little kid. I hit her with her first snow ball. I love Copper River salmon!!
Here is a picture of Santa Cruz in February.
FF
You're killing me...although your pic may have had a warming affect here-got up this morning an it was only 18deg-starting to heat up al little. Somedays lately we have had a 30-50 deg swing. Is there a bbq association in Ca (westcoast) and is it worth joining? I've got a place and family in Templeton-may have to spend more time there.
Send some of that global warming here...People should just realize that volleyball is just one of those inherent benefits of bbq that we take for granted. The evolution "Q" starts with grilling and volleyball may be in the top five reasons for grilling. Who knows-here heat maybe one of the primary reasons.
Question....Salt may absorb smoke has anyone used rock salt in place of cornmeal on a stone when using a pit to bake buns? Salt certainly absorbs flavor....Whynot use it! Thanks

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.