Skip to main content

Im considering purchasing a used FEC-100. It has a manufacture date of 2-10-2004, Serial #g1036. It uses the auger feed system, appears to have a LED temp readout on the controller. The tag indicates FE by Cookshack, but it looks different than the most FEC's I have seen. I looks kinda of like a "refigerator" sitting on castors. Does anyone have one like this? ...or a working knowledge of it? Pros and Cons vs a newer IQ4 model? I would appreciate any feedback, I am thinking of buying it on my way to the Royal, and using it for the first time, and dont want to make a $1700 mistake. I have tried to attach a pic. Thank you in advance.
Matt

Attachments

Images (1)
  • MVC-003S
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yep,looks just like the ones our team has been cooking on since about that time.

Never had a moment's problems and it will also cook at close to 500º.

Very quick temp recovery time,after having the door open.

The newest seems great.

It uses about 40% less pellets and holds temps to about +/-4º,so far.

The drop to hold feature seems to be a real plus for control.

We have just received a couple new ones and have done one contest.

So far,we haven't decided to get rid of the earlier models,as they have been too good.

Hope this helps a little.

Eddy will be at the Royal,so he will give you more info.
Those are Cookshack's, only issue is someone cut the legs off. Should have a straight through box with an auger inside it (as opposed to a ramp that pellets drop down).

I compete with the model you have.

I guess the real question would be, do you want to spend the full amount to get an IQ.

I'll have to thing about the differences, only cooked on my IQ about 20 times, so I'll get back to you with thoughts.
Smokin...
Dont worry to much about the differences..I guess I dont really think I need a IQ4 controller. I dont intend to cater, just compete a few times a year, and cook for family and freinds. Mostly I wonder about this controller, what temp increments can it be set at, how reliable is the smoker as a whole? Does it seem like a good value for $1700. Thank you so much for your input. Any and all coomments welcome.
quote:
Originally posted by jellyroll:
how reliable is the smoker as a whole? Does it seem like a good value for $1700.

They're very reliable!

Yes, considering the original price, seems like a good deal. I don't have any problems with the Traeger Digital controller. Temps are smoke, 180, 240, 275, 300, 325, 350, 375, and REALLY HOT.

Here's a picture:
Okie and all who replied...
Thanks so much for you input and responses. I have been thinking about this purchase for a long time, I just sealed the deal on purchasing 2007 FEC-100 with the IQ4 controller. Used only 5 times, and with remainder of warranty, and delivered to the Royal. I just have a better feeling about the newer one, and felt like it was worth the extra money. Thanks again all.
Matt

Mattt
Okie,
I did stop by the Cookshack booth and say hello, seem like great folks. More importantly, I made a little stop by the Royal Open stage to pick up a 10th place ribbon for ribs. I'm sold on the FEC-100. We have only cooked 5 contests ever prior to this years Royal, talk about ease of operation. WOW. I'm very happy with my new/used FEC-100. Considering we are newbies, we have been happy with our AR Open results the last two years(using WSMS), our 2nd and 4th contests respectively, but the FEC blew us away...great flavor..great color.......great results......great cooker.
Matt
Jellyroll Jones BBQ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.