Skip to main content

I really want a 225 setting on my FE100. In cruising the traeger site I see a digital thermostat kit. I have talked with the Traeger factory to no avail and the cookshack folks don't know what I am talking about. Here is the link to the picture, looks like ours but with different settings.

Traeger Digital Thermostat Kit
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've got the same 180 setting, but I like it just fine. If I'm not mistaken, the line between 180 and 275 should prit'near get you to 225 if it's actually splitting the difference. (I've used that setting, but can't for the life of me remember what it registered.---getting old) Roll Eyes
Talk to Eddy...but I am sure it will retofit easly...he did it to mine before shipping my FE100. Everything is male and female plugs. I wouldn't think anything is different to hookup.

SmokinOkie...
Your controller is also on the same page as the one Duck is refering to. Go to TraegerIndustries.com then to their store and look at accessories. The one he shows the link to is $279 and yours is $189!

I have no idea what mine was originally because I had Eddy change mine before shipping, I know it was not digital though because that was the issue and I saw the pix on Traegers web site...I am pretty sure I paid him an additional $100.
I hit about 240-245 on the setting between 180 and 275. I think this is the reason those 68 lbs of butts I did last week were done in 9 hours. For competition I would like to cook the butts, shoulders and brisket at a little lower temp, like 225. The butts last week were a little crispy on the outside and the fat had not rendered like I am used to on a long cook. In reviewing the posts here it seems other folks are having a few problems with crispy briskets. I am sure with time I can learn to cook good Q at higher temps but I believe it will be lots easier if I cool this new guy down a little.
No Capt, that's not my unit. Mine has a digital readout and the one further down on the page doesn't have a digital readout.

duck, You wanting to spend the money just to get the 225 setting?

That line for me is about 240. And personally, the difference between 225 and 240 isn't enough to worry about.

I think the 225 temp has been just a suggestion on the internet for years and truth be told, before the internet and polders, most good cooks didn't have a thermometer to use at all. I guarantee you, from my many many years of doing Q, there's not enough difference between 225 and 240 to make a big point in it.

But hey, that's just me. If you're wanting the 225, we'll have to wait for FE to jump in.

Me personally, I wish I could get the smoke setting to be lower than it is.
Dennis, I'm with you on this. I don't mind cooking at hotter temperatures towards the end of the cooking period, though I want to bring the temperature of the meat slowly between internal temperatures of 145 to 170. I want to break the fat down and I don't want to rush it. As I have noted on another thread, the temperatures I get on the setting between 180 and 275 appears to be a 250 setting and peaks around 290 in the upper chamber of the smoker and drops to 239 in the lower chamber of the smoker.

I wanted to call Stuart today, though didn't have time. I'll attempt to reach him tomorrow.
What i would do is use the 180 setting and then finnish with 250 or 275. If you want to do a 12hr butt use 180 for 8 hrs and then go to 250 for about 4hrs. This is how I cook contest. As far as a 225 setting, the older fe's have that. It was about a year ago when traeger decided to change. I was not asked my opinion about this and so I had to adjust my cooking just a little also. All the controls for the FE come from Traeger. Any of their controlers will interchange. I found when cooking on the pellet cooker you need to finnish hotter then a regular stick burnner. If you want to render fat slower then just adjust your cooking time and leave it on 180 for a longer period of time. I'm a big believer in finnishing at a higher temp. All the info I have ever put out says I finnish at 275.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
[qb] And personally, the difference between 225 and 240 isn't enough to worry about.

Me personally, I wish I could get the smoke setting to be lower than it is. [/qb]
I second THAT emotion. 225,240? Stick burners vary more than that all the time. And boy, would I love the smoke setting to be 120!
FYI - I have the FE100 with the 225*F controller duck just ordered...my temp swing on the digital display never goes more than a 15 degree swing, usually it is with 10*F unless I open the door of course. However when I put a probe in the oven it reads very different. I have no idea why but it is only in there to make sure the oven hasn't gone out, which has happened only once. I just usually drop the probe through the top grate and let it hang a few inches through and below the 2nd grate. It'll show a 30*F swing and show 35*F below the set temp to start and gradually come up to the set temp and become extremely stable. Perhaps the meat is radiating coolness onto the probe. I don't know and I don't worry about it as long as it does not drop fast and below 180*F in the beginning. That is where I set my thermometer with a "down" alarm.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.