Skip to main content

I'm not happy with the phone call I had with Karen at CookShack .. I was wondering the cost of Canadian duty and customs tariffs because I'm about do a PG500 purchase, so
I called Karen at Cookshack for some info,but she wasn't very helpful, she said " I could SEND you the NAFTA information AFTER you BUY it ". IS this the great customer service that I've been hearing about?! Is it because I'm Canadian? I have been in the Customer Service and Marketing field for quite a while and one thing I know is that you can never say to a client " I'll HELP you AFTER you BUY it " . I have never ever heard of a person that has said anything like that to a Customer! And I'm not buying a $100 pair of shoes! Would you buy shoes after something like that? .. You walk into a store and want to buy a nice pair of brand new shoes .. excuse me miss .. do you have these shoes in the color brown size 10 .. and she says .. I'll SEND you the information AFTER you BUY them . Would any of you go back to that store for anything?!

If this happened in any of the places that I've worked .. that person would be fired!

Pete
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well I should step in here and say I don't think an "apology" is necessary. I mean if Pete has ever purchased anything from the States and had it shipped before he KNOWS he is looking at taxes and VATs that his country imposes on anything not made in Canada.

Cookshack has fabulous service, sometimes a little patience and politeness goes a long way Pete. I am sure Stuart and everyone else at Cookshack will be of great help, given the chance.
It’s too bad MeatyBytes feels dissed by Karen’s response because it could be something as simple as the tax rates and the exchange rates which change daily.

If that is the case how she can commit to what it is going to be if an order is placed tomorrow or if the customer waits until next week to make a purchase. Cookshack has a large following in Canada so my guess is they make every attempt to provide the same level of care in Canada that they provide in the US

My guess is that if everyone was fired for not answering questions they have no way of knowing the answers to the unemployment rate would be mighty high. Just my $0.02US

Did you check with TechMOorgy on his experiance? He has at least 2 Cookshacks
BigMikeinNJ

Yes I have purchased many products from different company's from $60 to $3,500 in which none where made in Canada. Sometimes I do get charged for the taxes and duty and sometimes I don't. Example: the purchase of $3,500 , I was charged $138 which doesn't make sense cause we have close to 16% tax on purchases here, and sometimes I get charged a lot for a small purchases. I've already tried to get information but can't get a straight answer.
So thats why I asked her if she knew, if she knows great, if she doesn't know thats ok.She doesn't have to know. Some company's have the information and some don't and thats ok.

All I did was ask if she had that information and what I got was "I'll help you if you buy one"

I don't see where I was impatient and not polite
Pete - Have you considered a Canadian distributor such as The West Coast Store? They sell the PG500 for $1,599CAD vs. the Cookshack price of $1,445USD. At the very least, you probably will get a better idea of a final price to use as a benchmark. I'm sure there are other Canadian dealers, but I don't know who they are.

Since both currencies are pretty much on par these days, any exchange rate savings is negligible. My guess is that you would get a pass on any duties, but you never really know until the moment of truth. Canadian customs is a little quirky at times. Either way you go, you're going to have taxes. Depending on where you live it's going to be GST or HST, and possibly PST. There might be a big difference in shipping costs, but I think that would depend on whether or not a Canadian dealer stocks the item and ships directly, or has it drop shipped from Cookshack.

Good Luck.
Last edited by dls
I'm happy to say that now I know what you guy's mean about the good service.Stuard did a great job of taking care of me and I know I can put my trust into CookShack.It's not easy to trust a Company that's over a 1000 miles away, anything can happen.Nobody wants to lose or waste their hard earned money.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the PG500 .. can't wait to receive it,I've been intensively researching pellet grills for over a year now and the PG500 really seems to be the right choice.

I will be joining you all very soon

Pete

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.