Skip to main content

All - I thought I would take a stab here. I'm the guy setting up outside the state fair starting in about 10 days. My counterpart in charge of getting licensing done has informed me that the HD is REQUIRING a food/concession trailer for "hazardous foods." Pulled Pork obviously fits that category.
Is there anyone out there who would be willing to let me borrow their rig? I'll use my own FEC, and if you're not too far I'll gladly drive to you!
PM me if you think you can help. I'll want a rig at some point, but would rather have time to do it right than make a last second decision.

Matt - previously "Wild Embers." ...BBQDUDE had a nice ring!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The good news is that I grossed one of the highest on this corner. The bad news is that the "landlord" who rented the space misrepresented the potential for sales, so I wound up going for twelve days for the simple "experience." I did not make money, I actually came out in the red.
I learned a ton though, which makes it worthwhile in the end. IF I could get the same spot for 20% of what I paid this year I would do it again for simple marketing reasons and modest profits (tons of people go by this intersection).
I found out that no matter how good your 'que is, Minnesotans want fried food at the fair. I stuck with the pulled pork sliders, but added in freshly battered corn dogs (smoked the dogs in the fec before dipping and frying of course) and deep fried cheese on a stick! Sales were 50% que and 50% fried stuff.
With the NC State Fair coming up next month I'm planning to watch the vendors to see how they're doing and what they're selling. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of wiggle room between the local groups that do the fair every year and have an established following for BBQ, hotdogs, sausage dogs, etc, and the traveling vendors that rent space and hope for the best.

At about $800-1200 per day depending on size and location of space, you've got to be busy all the time for the entire duration of the fair to make a profit. Risky business IMO.

I was asked to be a vendor at a couple of charity events (last Saturday seems to have been the weekend for every running/walking charity event in this area) last weekend and passed on them all even though there would have been no cost to me. Just the risk of cooking and not having any business was enough to scare away my yellow butt. I just wasn't sure what the demand would have been for someone that just walked 20 miles or ran a 5K or 10K race.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.