Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't have any pictures of my Amerique, but I can tell you it will put out just a much or as little as you want it to.
When I am smoking spares I usually do 4 racks at a time and I use one chunk of wood to smoke with. I find if I use more it is too much.
Now if I am cooking a large piece of meat I will use 2 or 3 depending on the size and type of meat.
JT
Yes as others have said you CAN over smoke with an electric Cookshack smoker by using too much wood!

It will be hard to get some good pictures as smoke isn't always visible.
As you probably know there is "clear" smoke (or blue) vs. "dirty" smoke (or cloudy white).

A Cookshack smoker will produce some of each on starting but settle in with clear.
I have an AQ, and in contrast to JT, I tend to use more wood. When I first started using the unit, most of us agreed that the food could be smokier, so I generally use 2-3 chunks for most smokes of ribs, brisket, etc. With chicken or fish, I use less. No pics of this, but when I open the door, the unit is typically full of smoke.
Just a thought, but a picture of smoke isn't what you want.

The smoke you "see" is the white, impure smoke. The best smoke you want, is the clear/blue smoke.

As you can oversmoke with a few chunks, not sure what a photo helps you know.

Realize that because it is a very closed environment (small vent hole) the smoke tends to linger as well as it's a more humid environment.
Thanks guys. I guess I am not after the pics as much as I am after the responses about this smoker.

I am just not getting the smoke profile I am after with my pg1000. I am hoping I made the right choice by purchasing the Amerique. Good thing is that I have the 30 day return policy but I don't think I'll need it. I am just looking to reassure that I am going to get a way heavier smoke profile than my pg1000.
To help ease your worries, I have run an FEC100 for almost two years and have been a little disappointed with the amount of smoke flavor with a pellet rig. The units are designed to run incredibly efficient to help with the cost of pellets. After talking to Eddy, he gave me many ideas and I have tweaked my cooking style and taste buds to satisfy my needs.

Three weeks ago, I added a SM150 to my arsenal and on the 4th I added an AmeriQue. The AQ is a fantastic rig that can very easily produce all the smoke your desire. It may not be recommended, but I throw a handful of pellets from my FEC hopper into the smoke box and a couple small chunks of cherry. I start the unit and meat cold and am ecstatic with the results. All the flavor of my stick burner with 8 hours of sleep as well! Definitely the most flavorful and moist product I've ever produced.

You will not be disappointed with your purchase. Start easy with the wood, keep notes and make small changes at a time while keeping notes.

Jeff
KC BBQ Truck
quote:
Originally posted by KCBBQTruck:
To help ease your worries, I have run an FEC100 for almost two years and have been a little disappointed with the amount of smoke flavor with a pellet rig. The units are designed to run incredibly efficient to help with the cost of pellets. After talking to Eddy, he gave me many ideas and I have tweaked my cooking style and taste buds to satisfy my needs.

Three weeks ago, I added a SM150 to my arsenal and on the 4th I added an AmeriQue. The AQ is a fantastic rig that can very easily produce all the smoke your desire. It may not be recommended, but I throw a handful of pellets from my FEC hopper into the smoke box and a couple small chunks of cherry. I start the unit and meat cold and am ecstatic with the results. All the flavor of my stick burner with 8 hours of sleep as well! Definitely the most flavorful and moist product I've ever produced.

You will not be disappointed with your purchase. Start easy with the wood, keep notes and make small changes at a time while keeping notes.

Jeff
KC BBQ Truck

Wow that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have some things I need to get taken care of with my pg1000 not operating properly but that is another story.

I have tasted ribs a LONG time ago at some peoples house that I did some work for. When I say long I mean like 10-12 years ago. They were having a family get together and were BBQ'n all kinds of stuff. They did ribs two ways, one set in the oven and then moved into a crockpot full of sauce. The other set they had smoked all day long on a stick burner and served dry. They made me try both and I was in LOVE with the ones from the stick burner. I still remember that to this day. I was never able to duplicate those ribs but the smoke flavor they had was AWESOME. At the time I had no idea what they cooked them in. I thought it was weird that they didnt have sauce on them and didnt think I would like them at all..good times..lol

I can't wait to get the Amerique and start smokin. I will definitely keep notes of what I like and don't. Jerky will probably be the first thing I make after I season it for 8 hours or so.

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys.

Everyone that goes into my backyard thinks I am a redneck..haha I already have my pg1000, my Big Steel Keg, a Chargriller Duo(which I am leaving for my bro anyways or it would already be in the dump) and now the Amerique coming soon.
I know you want smoke flavor, but be careful when you start with your Amerique. I literally WEIGH my wood chunks with a small electric scale I use in cooking and making sausage. Generally I use 2-3 oz of wood chunks for a smoke. You will be AMAZED at how much smoke you get from two small golf ball sized chunks of wood. The Amerique needs to be seasoned before you use it the first time. It also will probably leak a little bit of smoke around the door. This is normal, the more you use it the less this will happen. After a couple dozen smokes it probably will not leak around the door at all. Like others have said start slow and take notes until you achieve the smoke profile you like. Don't start your first couple of smokes ith a LOT of wood, because you can ruin a nice batch of jerky with WAY TOO MUCH SMOKE. I would do a PB for the first smoke to help season the AQ. just my $.02...... Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.