Skip to main content

In response to the following by Vicki in a rub forum:

"This is the info on the tag of the rod (they rea exactly as follows)
Steel WorkS Hillman, Cincinnati, OH
PLAT STL - ROUND
3/16" - 3ft

Lowes has them in standing boxes. The ends are brushed with a green color for this particular size. They were very inexpensive, maybe $2 - $3 each. They are exactly 36 inches long so I will cut them in half and hope they will fit snugly enough not to roll on the hanging rack or not be too tight. I chose 3/16" because I didn't want them to sag in the middle with the weight of the meat and they wont make too much of a hole in the top of the jerky. I will take a picture when I have it all set up."

Vicki. Cut the rods the exact width of the cooking grates. When you do the jerky, take out the cooking grates and hang the rods in the slot previously occupied by the top grate. Here's a picture of my jerky rods sitting in my 025 Cookshack Elite.

I can fit up to 6 lbs of raw jerky on both the 4 rods and one grate sitting on top of the side racks (where I'm showing the rods in the picture. Rods then go in the slot just below where they're sitting in the picture). The meat needs space to allow air flow and proper drying.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cory, the rods I used are very strong. they are from Lowes and are 3/16" I made jerky last night and they came out great. No bending at all. I will explain further in another post with pictures. I just woke up and checked my phone and thought I would reply quickly. Just gona have coffee and bkfst, but I did already pop a piece of jerky in my mouth, YUM.
The jerky came out great using hi-mtn teryaki seasoning and two london broils (all they had reasonably priced but really good quality with a little nice marbeling). I started with 4lb, 11oz. not sure what I wound up with because We started eating it before I could weigh it.) They were easy to get off the rods,next time I might try a little spray to see if that makes it even easier. I used Qdoggs method of cooking/drying the jerky. I came across it in a post my mainelydave. All the links to Qdoggs method seem to be invalid, so I went by what mainelydave posted, which was: 1) 225 with door ajar (apx. 1 inch) door stays open that much automatically for me in my 025. 2) Door closed for 1 hour, 3) Door open for 1 hour, 4) Door closed for 1 hour, 5) Smoker OFF with door open for one hour, I just let them cool to touch and took the jerky out. That's it. Since this was my first time I will try one or two other methods just so I have something to compare.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2011-12-17_07.56.47
CJF28 - if you over stack the meat it will not dry properly. In a couple of places where my meat barely touched it didn't dry completed, stayed pinkish, but was still fine to eat. I would imagine if you have it over stacked you would have a lot more on the undone side. My total weight was 4lbs 11oz before loading it. I may have been able to fit one or two more pieces on each rod, but didn't need to. The four rods were spaced perfectly too. See pags pic above, that's how I did it, but did slide it into the space where the rack would have been.
Cory - we all get around to it, what ever it may be, in our own time Big Grin

I am glad it worked out for you. Did you make a point on one end?

Oh, what I have found out by doing this so many times is that you can space the jerky closer (when you need to) by hanging as close to the end of the meat as you can (I have not had one fall off yet), this way you don't get that flop over on the top and touch other pieces. But obviously you didn't have space issues for this cook. Dont forget you should be able to fit 4 rods from front to back. Doing that I can usually fit close to 5 lbs in there. Enjoy it!
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
Cory - we all get around to it, what ever it may be, in our own time Big Grin

I am glad it worked out for you. Did you make a point on one end?

Oh, what I have found out by doing this so many times is that you can space the jerky closer (when you need to) by hanging as close to the end of the meat as you can (I have not had one fall off yet), this way you don't get that flop over on the top and touch other pieces. But obviously you didn't have space issues for this cook. Dont forget you should be able to fit 4 rods from front to back. Doing that I can usually fit close to 5 lbs in there. Enjoy it!

hi, Vicki.

No, I didnt have anything to shave the end. I just stabbed the meat while it was laying on the towel drying. You can see the 'keyring' holes in the tips in the picture above.

Wife has already destroyed two peices, and is already whining about wanting to take some to work tomorrow.

Cory

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.