Skip to main content

I've smoked briskets serveral times in my cookshack. Always put a piece of charcoal in with the wood, but still can't get smoke ring. After 12 hours of smoking, what should the wood look like. The piece of charcoal and the wood are black but still intact. Should they be ash or is this normal. My brisket has smoked flavor. but the smoke ring isn't there. Some suggestions would be great!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My topic is misleading. I've read all the posts on smoke rings. I'll try tenderquick next time. I was interested in the look of the wood and charcoal after a long cooking session. Should it be white ash or black and chunky. Just want to make sure it's smoking like it should. Temperature is normal during cooking.
I have used my Cookshacks since 1994---I always use two or three Kingsford brickets on top or around my wood chunks for smoke ring, and I always get a good red smoke ring on my product. Usually around a 1/4" to 3/8" max.. I use natural surgar and non iodized salt in my rubs, I have checked my fire box when finished and have 100% combustion of wood chunks and charcoals. The Kingston thing works for me!
My smoker is set at 225. Brisket temp when taken out is 190. First few times I used the smoker the wood and charcoal turned to ash. Now very edges of the wood are ash and the rest is black including charcoal. The temp of my smoker hovers around 215. Any solutions to my problem?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.