Skip to main content

I am seasoning my new 008 right now. I have a basic electric meat temperature probe dangling in the chamber to monitor the temperature. I boil tested the temp probe to verify it is functioning properly. I am smoking 6 ounces of hickory with the smoker set at 200*. I have the smoker plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cord). I also have a meatloaf pan of water on the middle rack. Even though I have the smoker set to 200*, the temperature is fluctuating between 170* and 186*. 186* is the highest I have seen.

Is this normal? Will a meat temperature probe give an accurate temperature for the chamber? What should I do? This has been going on for about 2 hours.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi ya, Others may chime in, but to help you immediately, here are my thoughts.

I'm guessing that the water is holding temperatures down...takes 212 degrees to boil water, and is slow to heat at low temps...so, first, how come you have a meatloaf pan of water in there?? I'd say take out the water pan, make sure you've got a few ounces of good wood in the box, toward the front of the box, crank the unit to 250, take out the thermometer and let it rip for 4-6 hours. Then turn it off, open the door without sticking your face in front of it and admire all the golden stain on the inside.

Stick more wood in there...2-3 ounces (apple if you've got it, my favorite), throw in a well 'rubbed' pork butt, crank it again to 235-250 degrees, THIS time use the thermometer in the pork and await a bit of smoked heaven to come out of there when the thermo hits 195, and don't open the door until then.

Don't overthink the process. Yes temp shifts are normal..it's how electric heating elements work. Yes you're going to have an amazing first smoke. Yes, (repeat after me) you'll stop worrying about the temp swings of your new toy, Yes, you'll be the envy of the neighborhood, and you'll have idolizing stares from both your wife and your kids.

Relax, have a beverage of your choice, and start planning your next smoke. Cool
I did take out the water pan earlier and the temp did go up. I thought I remembered reading somewhere to season with a pan of water. Guess it was keeping the temps down.

Anyway, the temp just hit 205* and is going up. I will see where it cycles back down. Looks to be functioning properly now.

Pork Butt tomorrow afternoon!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.