Skip to main content

One of my first experiments in the new FE/CS.

10 lber.

Cooked it as follows:

1. Smoke setting for 1 hour (ran at about 150 smoker temp)

2. Bumped it up to 180 setting for 2 hours (smoker ran at 190 to 200)

3. Bumper it up to 275 setting for 1 hour (smoker ran at 280)

4. Finished it at 375 setting for 30 min

Internal temp was 125. Took it out and double wrapped it. Let it sit for two hours, outside of the smoker. Rose to 130.

Was medium rare toward the outside and rare towards the inside, just like we like it.

Here's the finished product:

Had about an 1/8inch smoke ring. Good smokey flavor. The outside certainly had a really nice appearance.

Not sure that it made a huge difference, just wanted to try to add some extra smoke. Next time I think I would just go to the 250 setting, and I'll still finish the outside at 375. It gave it a nice crusty outside, without being tough.

Overall was very happy with the test.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm a firm believe that I like to start my meats out cold.

IF the theory that meat will only absorb meat internally until it hits 140 (something about the meat fibers closing up) then I figure the amount of smoke time is increased because I put it in when the meat was about 40 degrees and thus takes longer to get to 140.

I'll give you an invite to come to the house any time!
Considering I have 1000's of posts, no telling where I was at and when, I've been in KC, Memphis, Austin and lots of places.

I live in Oklahoma City and yes been to the CS factory many times. Maybe my next trip up there I'll take some photos of everyone and the factory. Each of the smokers is hand made on site in Ponca City (about 110 miles north of OKC)
I live about 5 minutes away from the Cookshack manufacturing plant. They are in the middle of expanding the building right now. Lots of construction going on.

Im friends with a really good local photographer here in Ponca city that would love to take shots of the Cookshack crew and facility.

Hey Smokin, drop a hint to the folks at Cookshack to get a hold of me if they are interested in puting together a photo shoot.

It would be great to put some faces to the names of the people who have worked so hard to bring us these wonderfull little machines.

Great people, great place. Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.