Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Max I would love to share with you but then I would have to..... Well, you know on the competition circuit we have some secrets we don't share, Right Scott LOL. Iceblue... I'm glad you asked. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Profile in BBQ cooking is layers of flavors and the flavors we use to season our meat. When we refer to profile changes in cooking is we have made changes in the recipe we use.
quote:
Originally posted by Harpo:
Iceblue... I'm glad you asked. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Profile in BBQ cooking is layers of flavors and the flavors we use to season our meat. When we refer to profile changes in cooking is we have made changes in the recipe we use.

Thanks, I'm so glad it was about your recipe! Could have been about your personal profile - hey I didn't know - lol
quote:
Originally posted by AZScott:
Ah, so you changed your recipe as well as trying them on the new smoker. What did you think of the smoke flavor with the FEC?

AS with all pellets I think it could have been better but the butts were great. I used the amazing smoker also during the cook so I was happy.
quote:
Originally posted by Harpo:
quote:
Ah, so you changed your recipe as well as trying them on the new smoker. What did you think of the smoke flavor with the FEC?

AS with all pellets I think it could have been better but the butts were great. I used the amazing smoker also during the cook so I was happy.

Funny thing about all these worries about smoke flavor....I have only cooked 5 comps, since steeping over from the judging side. I have TEN top 5 individual meat awards which includes a perfect score. I have two GC,a RGC, and two 7th place finishes overall.

Just glad I've not wasted all my time trying to add more smoke, instead of learning to cook the product correctly...could be just me though!

I too, think layering flavors are well received by the judges.
Cal, smokes a funny thing isn't it. I never played with adding smoke until my categories were hitting fairly consistently. I have added it my last two comps to chicken and ribs and the first time I nailed a first in both categories and the second time they came in 6th and 4th. I'm still not convinced added smoke is the key but I do know it hasn't hurt my scores.

By the way, you've been killing it since you've started competing. It's very impressive.

Trucky, I have the tube and I had that issue. Now I fill it half full and aim the map torch along the top of them so that the top layer of pellets catches fire. I let it go a bit, cover it with a rag to extinguish the fire and throw it in the FEC. It seems to work fairly well.
quote:
I'm still not convinced added smoke is the key but I do know it hasn't hurt my scores.

I'll not disagree with you over the hurting of scores or not, but will offer everyone a single thought....Changing smoke profiles WILL change the flavor profile of your recipe...not sayin' good or bad, but just different.

As a judge, the last thing you want when judging is the taste of smoke as your 1st impression/thought of the product. Tastes should meld together and not stick out individually.
quote:

Rob tried the last pork butts I cook and he said it had a real noticable smoke flavor to it, Didn't need any more that than. Next time I'm not going to use the amazin smoker.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.