Skip to main content

Hi Folks, Curly In KC here. Newbie to the group but not to smoking. Been competing for almost 10 years.

Got my FEC100 Friday and have cooked every day since then and have yet to cook something that tastes smokey! I've tried dropping the temp to 174 like some suggest. It puts out a lot of smoke but at that temp the meat doesn't absorb much. I've tried adding a foil packet of real wood chips inside the smoker as well. Nothing.

I bought this unit to use on our Mobile BBQ truck here in KC but now I'm asking myself if I have made a 4 THOUSAND DOLLAR MISTAKE!

You just can't have SMOKED meat without the SMOKE flavor. Somebody help me, PLEASE!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Curly!,

What kind of meat are you smoking and how long are you cooking at 170-180*?

Who's pellets are you using and what flavor?

This info is needed to see where the problem is.

If you are wanting to taste smoke instead of meat, it just ain't gonna happen...but being a comp cook I'm sure you understand that is not what is wanted?
I've tried ribs and chicken. Did some chicken first at 275. Cooked in less than 2 hours, crispy skin, no smoke flavor. Then cooked ribs at 225 using the 311 method...3 hours smoke, 1 hour wrapped, one more hour unwrapped. Good and tender but again, no smoke flavor.

Now, I'm cookin a butt. Gave it about 3 1/2 hours of 174 now up to 225. No color change at all. Or am I looking for something that doesn't happen?

All of this using the CS pellets, hickory and fruit.
The more you season it the better it will get. You will get more smoke flavor if you start with cold meat and a cold smoker. Above 140 (meat)the meat pores seal and you won't get penetration after that. I rarely go above 224. Some do two stage. Fast Eddy has 100% Hickory if you want to try (I have) but don't think it's necessary. Hang in there!
There are a LOT of discussion in the FE forum about smoke flavor.

The challenge is to match what you think is smokey with the capabilities of the unit. Everyone is different so we have to help you get the level of taste you're wanting.

First, learn that the smoker burns more efficiently and as such you'll have a cleaner smoke. In the past, you may have gotten used to a heavier smoke so that's the profile you'll have to work to get.

Keep in mind, CS has a money back guarantee, if you REALLY don't like it, contact CS. They want you 100% happy.

But there are a # of threads here, maybe some forum members will point some out that will help you understand how to increase the smoke flavor.

1 is duration (time spent in the smoke zone -- the meat that is)

2 is wood (fruit woods will always be lighter in smoke flavor)

More to come, just wanted to drop a note to let you know we're here to help.
Curly,

Like others have said, it all depends on what kind of flavor you are looking for.

I have found that my FEC's all give me as much smoke flavor I have with my old stick burner. I always used oak and apple with the stick burner.

I have tried food from some places around here that have way too much smoke flavor, and taste like it was cooked in a burning house.

With so many teams out there winning and placing. I don't think that lack of smoke flavor is an issue for them.

RandyE
I usually sandbag but thought I would chime in as well.

1: What did you smoke with before wood wise and/or charcoal?

2: I would load the smoker up meat trimmings and give it a good 10 to 12 hr seasoning.

3: How is your exhaust setup? Pipe diameter, elbows and length?

4: Have you tried smoking 100% loaded, I would make sure to season it first before doing a full load.

I always put the meat in cold and start it up cold on the FEC. On occasion I have 2 staged it but haven't noticed a huge difference to warrant the extra time. What I do think is the FEC100's need a happy balance of product +(internal air space / air flow)

In theory (and this may sound like a rant), the more meat in the cooking chamber with decrease the air volume in turn increasing the internal air pressure. Now the diameter, length and bends in the exhaust will determine the back pressure or in layman terms, how much air volume can evacuate the system via pressure and convection.

Now if you're only cooking at, lets say 25% loaded, the your air volume would be greater and at a lower pressure. Now with the convection and low air pressure, I'm willing to bet the exhaust is pulling out more gasses than are being held in the chamber. This is going to give you a negative air pressure which means gasses carrying the "smoke flavor" are going out quicker than they are staying in. I also speculate that this would cause the blower to be more active thus causing the fire to burn hotter, which means it would be cleaner and with less "smoke flavor". I also think the more meat surface area helps adhere the smoke since the meat is cooler and the the surface area is greater than the volume of smoke.

I haven't fully tested it but I'm willing to bet CS/FE came up with the 5" exhaust based on 75%+ loaded to achieve the optimal balance in smoke and pellet consumption.

Anyways that's my 2 cents worth of backwoods bbq theory on these little guys which I love to death.

Aaron
I just picked up my FEC-100 yesterday so can not help much with that.

I will say I could not get the flavor I like with my BGE's so here is what I did.

I would start the meats off on the offset for a couple of hours, up to 5 at times. I would then put on the eggs to finish cooking. This may not be an option for you, but for me gave me the best of both worlds, a chance to feed the smoker and drink a few beverages and then a chance to get some sleep.
Curly,

It has been a few days since I posted on your thread. And I had missed the last line of your post.

You can't have smoked meat with out smoked flavor.

When I had my stick burner, I found that the best fires put out little or no visible smoke. The smoke was there, just like it is in the FEC100. When it is working to come up to temp, it will put out a very clean smoke and is not visisble. but once it is there, and is just coasting, it will give the pillars of smoke you may be looking for.

For your chicken, I usually go for 275 for about the 2 hours, but finish at 300, depending on the cut. But I have placed well in comps. And many people have stated it is the best they have had. But each one of us on here can say the same thing. But if you feel the need for more smoke flavor, go with 225 then take the temp up after an hour.

I have never tried to cook at 175, but that is OK. The thought that something should happen after only 3 1/2 hours is kind of impatient. I will go 10 for a short cook on butts. and 16+ if I am taking my time. And they can come out looking like a lump of coal if you want that much bark.

Every smoker has it's own personality, and you have to get to know this new one a little better.

Did 500lbs of briskets on mine two weeks ago and they did very well. Doing another 400+ in two more weeks, and expect the same results.

RandyE
I have been able to achieve more smoke with the help of you kind folks on this forum. Many of you have provided me with great advice and I am grateful.

The thing that concerns me is that I started building my food truck after many folks told me that they loved my Q, blah, blah, blah.... but the thing is, the FEC100 doesn't come anywhere close to reproducing the Q that folks told me they love. I feel as though I am changing my formula and am concerned that folks may not enjoy the new "formula" of Q!

So, I can say it is "better" but still falls short of the flavor I produced with my WSM.
Maybe call CS and discuss it with them, maybe they can assist. FE lives in KC, maybe he can help.

I'll say this, but don't be offended, I think you were used to a very strong/overssmoked profile. Not that it's bad, just that you were used to a very strong profile.

For people that are used to a STRONG wood smoke (oversmoked) you won't get that it an FE.

Sorry to say, but that's the truth. I'm not sure to advise you to stay with what you bought or go with something else to match that profile. You've been able to achieve more smoke, but you can't oversmoke in an FE. Not without building a log fire in the bottom and that's not the way to go.

CS has a return policy. It's a tough choice and I'm not sure what out there would give you an oversmoked profile in a small, NSF rated smoker.

It's too late now, but there's a lot of info here in the forums to help with the decisions (for future users).

The problem is there is no way for us to know your existing smoke profile without tasting it.

Sorry it can't match that profile.
Curly, I think you will notice a slight difference with any smoker you go with so your formula is going to change. My question to you is can the FEC produce great BBQ. Yes, it can and it will make the health department happy. It takes everyone a bit of time to adjust to new smokers but you will be able to adjust.

I do like the advice of talking with Eddy. He's extremely helpful and he's helped many people in the business.
I've cooked on UDSs and WSMs.
Same with an offset and the FAT-50.
There is a learning curve on every smoker. Just cause you can cook on one smoker, doesn't mean you can cook on mine.
Now, I have the FEC-100 and I love it.
IMO the 50 was over smoked, I didn't like it and neither did my customers.
If that's what sells in your neighborhood then more power to ya.
If I bought your food that was over smoked, I'd bring it back and request a refund.
JM2C & YMMV
Ive taken all the great advice from the group and have done several more cooks. And each cook gets better and better. Yes, there is a learning curve to this cooker. But the more I cook, the better the food gets. So I'll just keep practicing!

I've read much discussion about pellets as well and wondered what advice, if any, would be offered about the use of 100% Hickory, or 100% Cherry pellets. Are they worthwhile? Do they provide more smoke flavor?

I can't begin to express my gratitude to all that have replied with suggestions and words of encouragement. It is greatly appreciated.

Pictures coming soon.
Beware of what you say on this forum about lack of smoke...You will be crucified in a nice way . ...everyone means well, but hey, who am I ...

you will get feedback on smoke profile, your taste buds, blah, blah, blah...you know what you want and just aint gettin it...You Spent alot of money and are thinkin you made a mistake.... You didn't....there are foods whereas you want alot of smoke and some you want a balanced flavor. (I happen to like alot of smoke flavor too).

Like a couple have alluded, the machine just ain't built to perform like a stick burner. I too had felt this way about smoke flavor. I had an Oklahoma Joe vertical wood roasting oven I sold to get the FEC100. Sometimes I miss it badly. But not any more. I found a solution to getting deep smoke flavor while using the FEC100. It's not a modification but rather a supplement when I want a deep smoke profile. Here it is:

http://images.brinkmann.net/docs/pdf/812-3323-0.pdf

I place this inside on top of the firepot of my FEC and put a couple of chunks of hardwood in the pan...I leave the FEC unplugged and plug this apparatus in and my smoking chamber performs like a cookshack Amerique electric. Smokes really really well. No fans are pushing smoke out the chamber cause the FEC is unplugged...the smoke flows out naturally...It's 1500 watts gets temps to 225 - 275 degrees an sometimes higher...I havent found a way to thermostatically control it yet so I have to monitor the temps from time to time but nevertheless, it works extremely well......sometimes i have to open the chamber to release a little temp. I have done ribs and chicken to smoked perfection.

Basically,it works like the CS models. You can over-smoke with the CS models if not careful.

So now I got the best of both worlds...

I also purchased a smoking box to place over the element,,,here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ..._o05_s01_i00_details

The smoking box works best over the plate that comes with the element because it has a cover to place over the wood chunks and I feel it is a added safety precaution.

When I want to smoke cheeses, etc I use the a-MAZE-N smoker device mentioned on this forum...it works great!! It adds a miniscule amount of temperature to the chamber and smokes very well when lit on both ends. I use it with the FEC OFF or in another grill. In the FEC sometimes I smoke with it for a few hours to get the deep smoke in the meat then take it out and fire up the FEC. Voila! Cheeses take very liitle time with this thing and you can oversmoke cheese quickly. It's woth a try and you use you existing pellets with it.

Now...while using the electric smoker element above, I keep track of my BBQ temps away from the smoker and in the house with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ..._o00_s00_i00_details

Lastly, when I want the efficiency of the pellets and a balanced smoke profile I REMOVE the device and plug in the FEC100 and let it do it's magic.

These are supplements as far as I'm concerned.

Please, no attacks on this post, just trying to help.. as far as I'm concerned, the FEC is my best. I just found a way for it to suit my needs when I want that deep smoke profile.

Before I purchased these supplements...I did an A/B comparison a while ago on separate days with some co-workers with ribs, brisket, and sausage
... They were raving about the food from the OK JOE smoker that day they were eating, but to my amazement, the next week 5 of 6 said the first dinner (cooked on the OK Joe) was too smoky after they ALL tasted the food out of the FEC and said it was much better... WHATEVER!! I like the smoke... That did however make me feel better.

Good luck and congrats.. don't feel like you wasted your money. You got the best.

BlueCloud
Last edited by Former Member
I've helped people with this issue for, oh probably 6 years now.

The challenge is trying to define what a smoke flavor profile.

IF, after using an FEC for 10 times, and various pellets you think it needs more smoke, then you're right.

Now, I would classifiy that as someone who likes their food heavily smoker or oversmoked (only as a term of refernece). It's our smoke we're all using so it's just subjective trying to figure out someone's "preference" for smoke.

I think there are some great suggestions here.

Make the mods as you see fit to suit your individual taste buds.

But, I wouldn't classify the smoker as bad if it doesn't put out heavily or oversmoked foods. It's not advertised that way and we certainly caution people before they buy them.

Good news?

Some inventive solutions to get THE product you want.
That just gave me an idea.... I put my smoking box just on the edge of the firepot just enough to not interfere with the pellets dropping. put a piece of hickory chunk in there closed it up partially and I'm getting 2X smoke production.

Still wanna know how that grate is mounted??
Its Cherry Wood

I place just enough over the fire to ignite and its burns back off of the fire pot and smolder's and makes smoke.

I have the temp set to around 200 so the foundry flame subsides and the smoldering wood doesn't create enough heat to interfere with the temp probe and create a false heat that the system can't fix by shutting down the hopper. (I have made many test runs to ensure this)

I took a simply self tapping sheet metal screw with a 5/16th hex head, added a washer and drilled it down to the top of the SS that incorporates the firepot assembly. there is ample room for the screw and I let it hang over the firepot around 1/2 and inch just so when the wood lights it won't have a chunk of char or ash drop in the firepot and create ash that would smother the fire. (Once again I have tested that to ensure the integrity)

I use one chunk that size and it lasts about 2 1/2 hours in which I think provides ample smoke and color for my Big Meats since it is Cherry wood. If it was something else I might add another chunk after that one was burned out.

PS: Design credit goes to Scottie Johnson (Cancer Sucks BBQ Team)
So the wire mesh assemble is permanently secured to the firepot? Your verbal explanation seems to indicate that but the picture doesn't provide visual clues other than its location. I gather you open and close the mesh around the wood chunk each time it's needed?

Do you find that butts and briskets can achieve added smoke without having to 2 stage them?

Great looking turn-in box. Hope it earned you a call and cash.
Last edited by maxq
Max about 3 diamonds back on the bottom is the screw. (The Wood is sitting on top of the screw.

NOTE: After a couple of uses I cut off 1/2 of the side wall of the piece facing you. Where the metal was bent to look like a 4x4x4 inch U shape it is now a 4x4x2 J shape. The reason I cut it off was it was easier to vaccum out the fire pot and the 2 inch lip was more than adequate to keep the wood from falling out.

It is open this way.

I still use a two stage cook because I like to bathe my big cuts in smoke and since I have all the time I need because I don't need to tend to the FEC like a stick burner.

I would think you could just set it at a higher temp and it will still make the smoke you desire. You may need to add a new chunk every hour for two or three hours. After that I woulds think the meat wouldn't take anymore smoke anyway.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.