Skip to main content

OK, maybe this topic should have been posted to the Brisket forum but it's somewhat relative to pellet smoke and competition judging.

In the past I've painted a few briskets with a simple French's Mustard slather prior to adding rub. I recall that it may (wasn't keeping notes back then) have helped maintain moisture. Those briskets were done in a Smokette.

Enter the FEC100. Do you folks have an opinion as to slathers inhibiting pellet smoke? Do any of you use a mustard slather? What's your take?

Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Some folks feel that coating meats with something[mustard,mayo,peanut butter,motor oil,leftover pasta sauce,cake icing,etc] will give you some moisture to cake more rub on.You have cooked enough large chunks of product with salt based seasonings to know how wet it will be in an hr ,and can cake more rub on.

Many folks feel it is one more thing to clean off your hands,while trying to get ready to apply rubs.

Smokin'will often say,"try a couple each way,side by side and report back in".

Although,down here in the South,some yellow mustard ,slathered on cheap white bread,and a couple slices of bologna is often seen at cookoffs in the hands of brisket cooks. Big Grin
No slather, comp or otherwise.

Most people I believe will say they use a slather to help the rub stick, not sure I've ever heard of it helping to retain moisture.

I think putting it on before, let it see and it will liquify and the rub will stick fine.

I think the quality of the brisket (internal marbling/fat) and method have more to do with getting a good brisket.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.